Sign in to follow this  
Scott Miller

FS9 747400 1.20 update, a curse or a blessing?

Actually, perhaps both! The curse? I spend all night trying to recover FS9 after installing the 1.20 update to my 1.1B version I purchased as Jan but only got working, prior to installing the update, a couple of days ago. Initially, it caused a CTD if I attempted to switch to the 2D panel view. I couldn't figure out why until I tried to install QualityWing's 757 and was informed by the installer that the FS9.1 wasn't installed (though the FS9.1 installer said it was!)! Once I got the FS9.1 properly installed both the QW 757 and PMDG 747-400 installed without incident, and functioned, flawlessly...or so I though!The blessing? After installing the 1.2 update last night, however, things took a nasty turn for the worst! As soon as I tried to load a saved flight FS9 unceremoniously dumped me back to Windows! After hours of trying everything I could think of, I finally decided to compare, line by line, my current FS9.cfg file with a two year old backup copy that still worked. I found three different [Display.Device] entries each one for a different video card, one for the current card and two more for two previous cards (all NVidea GeForce cards). Removing the obsolete entries didn't immediately solve the problem as one might have expected. It was only after removing the "Trilinear=1" line from the Display Device entry that I finally got both FS9 and the PMDG 747-400 working again! The curious thing is, FS9 (and the PMDG 747-400 (once I got the FS9.1 update properly installed) worked just fine (more or less) with the duplicate display device entries and trilinear line. It wasn't until I installed the PMDG 747-400 1.2 update that I started having major problems. I guess you could say I owe a note of thanks to PMDG for this else there's no telling how long I'd have blissfully gone on using a corrupted FS9.cfg! Even so, I have doubts about attempting to install the 1.2 update again (certainly, I won't try to until I get a chance to do a proper backup of FS9)!Partially as a result of all this (but also because I think it makes sense), I'm thinking of re-organizing the FS9.cfg file so all the entries are in ABC order. Will this work or do certain entries have to appear in a certain order to work properly (if at all)?