Sign in to follow this  

The road not taken

I'm sure I'm not the first one who is in this situation: I got out of High School, sure of what I wanted to do (Television Production) I worked at the schools' TV station, at a few other stations in town, got a video editing suite here at home, and signed up for the necessary courses in University, where I am 2nd year, right now.Then an elf threw a wrench in my plans. Flight sim got me hooked on something else. I honesly would be just as happy to do something in aviation (especially ATC).When I got to an airport, I feel the need to become a part of aviation. When I watch TV, or see clips of behind the scenes, I feel the pull back to TV.So, the point to my rant: Has anyone been faced with this situation? When you came to the fork in the road, did you take it? Do you feel the need to switch careers because of all your time spend it "that stupid game"? Do you regret not making that change?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

To me, that thought you have about getting into ATC sounds great! It's a secure job, pays well and you'll be at the airport every day. Plus, you can't take those planes home with you...they are left at the office. :) Know what I mean? If you feel like a change of scenery, you can keep your eyes open for an available slot in a different part of the country. A friend has been a controller for years. He used to "hop" commercial flights at no charge if he needed to get somewhere...if there was room on the flight. They always put him up in the cockpit in the jump seat. I don't know if they still do that with all the new security concerns, though. I met a technician at our local tower that thinks he has the best job in the world. He gets to ride all over the airport keeping all the equipment running.

Hi,I graduated with the class of 2000 after a two year program in Aircraft Maintenance, in hopes of pursuing my AME license.I graduated on the wednesday and was hired by Bombardier on the friday. It was great for a year until I was laid off (turned out they only needed us to meet their fourth quarter targets). Figured I'd take the summer off (last chance to do that!) and get back to work in the fall.Sept. 11 came and went and with it a ton of jobs. Canada 3000 bought out Canjet and Royal, and then went out of business. Needless to say, I'm not working in aviation at all right now, and the longer it takes, the more I fear I won't be able to get back into it. It's tough when you don't have much experience.Anyways, I'm now making ends meet with a temp agency. And the aircraft industry seems to run on a 10 year cycle. 10 years of great business followed by 10 years of recovery. Hopefully I'll get back to my real job soon.In short, if you want to pursue a career in aviation, find out where the jobs are going to be and what the outlook is before jumping in with both feet. It can be very rewarding and at the same time very frustrating.All the best to you,CF-AOA