Sign in to follow this  
pgaudet

Horizons when flying at higher altitudes

Hello:As you can see by my second attached screen shot once i get above a certain altitude (I was at approx 20,000 ft) my horizons turn into just a solid block of sky :)The first shot shows what it looks like at lower altitudes - I was at around 8500 ft.I've reduced my max visibilty in the .cfg file to 44000 and I have installed soft horizons etc. I don't know what else to try.At lower altitudes the horizons look great and how they should so I figure that once i get to higher altitudes it should still look similar.Any one have any thoughts or ideas? Others have the horizons looking like my first 'normal' screen shot at higher altitudes and if so what are they using and with what settings?I hope this isn't another one of those 'it's how FS9 does it and we have to live with it' :(Thanks - my computer specs in my signature.

Hi,In pic 1 you are seeing the horizon, in pic 2 you are looking at the side of a mountain which is blocking the horizon.

Nope.There is no mountain there. The terrain is higher then the first as the two shots not taken in the same place. The location isn't the problem. Its just the higher I go the worst it gets. I could be flying somewhere at sea level and it will get like the second pic once i get up so high.Why doesn't it stay like in the first picture? It looks correct and nice :)thanks.

Guest belga1

Hello,

in pic 2 you are looking at the side of a mountain which is blocking the horizon.
As you can see by my second attached screen shot once i get above a certain altitude (I was at approx 20,000 ft) my horizons turn into just a solid block of sky :)
20,000 ftmountain which is blocking the horizon :( Not sure about .. but OP will explain :( Edited:Cross post LOLRegards.bye.gifGus.

Well problem might be solved.After further research on web and reading entries on other forums by others and author of the soft horizons package I needed to keep my max_unlimited_vis setting on the default or higher. I currently have a value of 150000 for that parameter in my FS9.CFG file and the horizons look at 30,000 feet as they do in my first pic in my original post at approx 8,000 feet.I usually fly with real world weather on so hopefully the higher max_unlimited_vis parameter won't be an issue. However, more testing and more flying time will tell.We'll see how it goes and report back.Thanks.