Sign in to follow this  

Is it safe for me to reapply my OC settings and reinstall the second GPU? Crossfire with the 6990s is really amazing for apps it actually works with.
Yes, don't worry. You may want to backup your system just in case something gets corrupted in your Windows or programs install after one of those poweroffs though

Okay, then I'm off to my BIOS. Maybe I'll get lucky and won't have any of those weird restarts again. Maybe it was that power setting? Regardless, I don't like not being OCd. Once you get a taste, you can't go back to stock with a smile. By the way, hyperthreading on or off? I had it on before.

Okay, then I'm off to my BIOS. Maybe I'll get lucky and won't have any of those weird restarts again. Maybe it was that power setting? Regardless, I don't like not being OCd. Once you get a taste, you can't go back to stock with a smile. By the way, hyperthreading on or off? I had it on before.
Yeah, you know what they say... once you clock you can't stock! :biggrin:HT, well depends on what you do. For FSX, off as it's useless. If you use your rig for some heavily threaded application that benefits from it, you can always have 2 BIOS profiles with HT on and off.One question, how do you usually monitor your IOH temps?

I check IOH through BIOS. I take a look after an extended load for a period of time, and also periodically when I check other temps. I've never seen it go above 60, and it has averaged 55. The hottest it ever showed was 60 after 12 hours of Prime95. I understand that MSI has software to monitor temps (one I think was mentioned in this thread), so I'll go get that as well.

I check IOH through BIOS. I take a look after an extended load for a period of time, and also periodically when I check other temps. I've never seen it go above 60, and it has averaged 55. The hottest it ever showed was 60 after 12 hours of Prime95. I understand that MSI has software to monitor temps (one I think was mentioned in this thread), so I'll go get that as well.
Ok, looks to me like temp2 is the IOH.By the way, what Vcore, Vtt and Vdimm do you need for 4.5GHz? and what do you have under water exactly? you already mentioned the northbridge, but also the CPU? Is your RAM overclocked too?

Ok, looks to me like temp2 is the IOH.By the way, what Vcore, Vtt and Vdimm do you need for 4.5GHz? and what do you have under water exactly? you already mentioned the northbridge, but also the CPU? Is your RAM overclocked too?
I don't recall. I just remember that I goofed up and put my Vcore to 1.5, and then realize what I did before restarting, and started at 1.2, bumped it to 1.35, and then brought it back down a bit. It was the first time I ever OCd anything other than a GPU, and I was pretty clueless.The waterblock system covers the GPUs, HHD, and both SSDs. And I have an enclosed water cooler (Corsair H60) for the CPU. There is an additional water cooler connected to the top of my case that goes to the motherboard, and has air tubes for the PSU and RAM. I also have two exhaust fans on top behind the cooler, two exhaust fans on the back, and the exhaust fan in the PSU, which is on the bottom of my rig, and two intake fans in the front, and four intake fans on the case door. I'll snap a picture later. My RAM is not overclocked. I wanted to, but every time I tried I would get an "overclock failed" error message on startup. The only way I was able to OC RAM was by using 1333, but I wanted to keep my 1600.

I don't recall. I just remember that I goofed up and put my Vcore to 1.5, and then realize what I did before restarting, and started at 1.2, bumped it to 1.35, and then brought it back down a bit. It was the first time I ever OCd anything other than a GPU, and I was pretty clueless.The waterblock system covers the GPUs, HHD, and both SSDs. And I have an enclosed water cooler (Corsair H60) for the CPU. There is an additional water cooler connected to the top of my case that goes to the motherboard, and has air tubes for the PSU and RAM. I also have two exhaust fans on top behind the cooler, two exhaust fans on the back, and the exhaust fan in the PSU, which is on the bottom of my rig, and two intake fans in the front, and four intake fans on the case door. I'll snap a picture later. My RAM is not overclocked. I wanted to, but every time I tried I would get an "overclock failed" error message on startup. The only way I was able to OC RAM was by using 1333, but I wanted to keep my 1600.
Ok Jeremy, 4.5 is a massive OC for a 45nm chip like yours, especially considering that it's not really under a proper custom WC loop. The H60 is good, but no better than high end air coolers and I wonder what full load Vcore you're feeding it to get it stable at such high clocks. You should always know your Vcore, Vtt, Vdimm when OCing.Actually I'm surprised that your core temps are not well over 80ºC under Prime95 or similar. Honestly, I find it hard to believe that the H60 is up to the job.There's no need to cool an SSD, it has no moving parts and always runs cool. Actually I don't see the point in watercooling mechanical HDD's either. I would use that for the CPU insteadDid you make sure your Vtt is within 0.5V of your Vdimm? this is a must in Bloomfield. Can you please post your complete voltages in BIOs, and also your Vcore messured with CPU-Z while running Prime95 at full load?Run it for just a minute and posts your CoreTemp readings with Prime running too please

Ok Jeremy, 4.5 is a massive OC for a 45nm chip like yours, especially considering that it's not really under a proper custom WC loop. The H60 is good, but no better than high end air coolers and I wonder what full load Vcore you're feeding it to get it stable at such high clocks. You should always know your Vcore, Vtt, Vdimm when OCing.Actually I'm surprised that your core temps are not well over 80ºC under Prime95 or similar. Honestly, I find it hard to believe that the H60 is up to the job.There's no need to cool an SSD, it has no moving parts and always runs cool. Actually I don't see the point in watercooling mechanical HDD's either. I would use that for the CPU insteadDid you make sure your Vtt is within 0.5V of your Vdimm? this is a must in Bloomfield. Can you please post your complete voltages in BIOs, and also your Vcore messured with CPU-Z while running Prime95 at full load?Run it for just a minute and posts your CoreTemp readings with Prime running too please
Yea, I was told that I was pushing my luck with 4.5. Most everyone suggested that I stick with 4.0, which is actually where I stopped for awhile. I didn't redo my OC today because I got caught up with other stuff, but when I do, I'll probably go to 4.0. As for noting the voltages, I know that now, but at the time I was completely clueless about any of this stuff. It took me a long time just to figure out how to adjust them because they were greyed out in BIOS. I wasn't even going to OC at all until Stephen gave me a little boost in the right direction. The H60 has been treating me very well. It does indeed keep the CPU plenty cool. Perhaps some other cooling I have contributes? I really wouldn't know. I'm still far from knowlegable about this stuff. But I have been working on building my new i7 2600 on an ASUS board, so I'm learning. Yea, I'll run Prime95 and post the voltages and temps when I OC again. Probably need more help when I get around to overclocking my new build too.