Sign in to follow this  
dumberdog

Having a hard take-off in Wndows 7

Hello to all of you folks here in the forum, it's my first topic about Fly!II, so i'll get on with it. A couple of days ago i installed Fly!II on my laptop( eMachines with AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 2GB RAM, ATI X1200 mobility Radeon GPU ), wich is running Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit version. After the graphics/display settings screen, the splash screen with the fuel gauge showing loading progress, a pop-up window appears, displaying a message that alerts to some kind of exception that prevents the game from running. You can see it in the print-screen i've attached to this topic.I tried all compatibility modes available, but the result was the same, as well as all graphic option modes before running the game but without success.:Cry:Is it because i'm using a laptop with Windows 7, or is it necessary to install all the necessary updates so it can run properly? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Hello to all of you folks here in the forum, it's my first topic about Fly!II, so i'll get on with it. A couple of days ago i installed Fly!II on my laptop( eMachines with AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 2GB RAM, ATI X1200 mobility Radeon GPU ), wich is running Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit version. After the graphics/display settings screen, the splash screen with the fuel gauge showing loading progress, a pop-up window appears, displaying a message that alerts to some kind of exception that prevents the game from running. You can see it in the print-screen i've attached to this topic.I tried all compatibility modes available, but the result was the same, as well as all graphic option modes before running the game but without success.:Cry:Is it because i'm using a laptop with Windows 7, or is it necessary to install all the necessary updates so it can run properly? Any help would be very much appreciated.
Welcome to the Forum! First off, let me assure you Fly!II *will* run in Windows 7. :( Several things could be the problem, but first things first. 1. Windows 7 has demonstrated problems when running programs from the \Program Files folder (actually, Win7 64-bit from the Program Files (x86) folder) but I would like to suggest you uninstall Fly!II, reboot then install Fly!II into it's own folder under your main drive ( i.e. c:\Fly!II\ ). 2. If you feel comfortable enough, you really should turn off the UAC (User Access Control), as it hurts more than helps running programs - especially if you are not running as Administrator.3. On your desktop, right click on the icon for Fly!II, choose properties at bottom, then click on the security tab and ensure you (i.e. user account you log in as) have permissions set to full and check the box "Run as Administrator".4. Next, you most likely need to adjust your render.ini file, which is found in your \Fly!II\system\ folder. Keep in mind Fly!II was released ten years ago, so the newer graphics cards require a little more tweaking. But as a starting point, here is my render.ini file to try. Back up the original one first, then copy and paste the below into the original file and give it a try.Under where it says Graphics, insert the following:mipLevelCount=8vertexIndexFormat=0premultiplyColorAndAlpha=0allowAutoMipMapping=0directTextureFlag=0Under the section where it says Textures insert the following:maxTextures32=64maxTextures32_565=64maxTextures64=200maxTextures64_565=16maxTextures128=72maxTextures128_565=350maxTextures256=20maxTextures256_565=220maxTextures512=8maxTextures512_565=10maxTextures528=64maxTextures528_565=16maxTextures1024=2mipMapFlag=896Under the section that says nonAGP insert:maxTextures256_565=16Under the section that says AGP:maxTextures256_565=32 The winrun.cpp error I get occasionally on start-up - have even under Win98. I just try until the program actually starts. As you can see below in my sig, I run Win7/64bit Premium on my laptop, and the only complaint I have is screen resolution - as I run 1366x768 and Fly!II was designed to run max at 1024x768 resolution. Let me know if this helps any, and we can go from there.Cheers!Ken

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Well, a little late in responding, but glad the render file worked well for you! Despite the hack of '09 - there is still alot of good things to be found in the Fly!II Library here. Hope the Sim continues to run well!Cheers!

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster