Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jhefner

Installing Tileproxy in both FS9 and FSX on the same system

Hi;I currently am using Tileproxy with FS9, and am very pleased with the results.I recently decided to try out FSX on the same system; and was wondering what is the best way to install Tileproxy in FSX without hosing up my FS9 setup.Thank you in advance.-James Hefner

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi;I currently am using Tileproxy with FS9, and am very pleased with the results.I recently decided to try out FSX on the same system; and was wondering what is the best way to install Tileproxy in FSX without hosing up my FS9 setup.Thank you in advance.-James Hefner
Tricky perhaps. The original install offers the option, I think, to set up both but after-the fact....???Things to consider: Max resolution in fs9 is 4.8m, in FSX is 0.3m (as far as TileProxy can deal with). You could use the 5m in FSX, but there could be issues if you made 1m scenery in FSX and tried to use it in fs9. If there is only one world scenery folder for TP, you would need some way to not mix up the sceneries.The fs9 and FSX proxyuser.ini files are slightly different... can you remember to swap them before use or would you have two different TP folders with the appropriate ini? I don't know how that works if installed for both.Unless you reinstall TP, you will have to get all the world scenery folder entries manually into fsx scenery config...possible, but potentially tricky.It might be easier to "protect" scenery you have made - and caches - from the uninstall process and reinstall and restore the scenery and caches to use... perhaps copy to another hdd and then restore after reinstalling.The scenery tiles are subject to being totally rebuilt if some things change in the ini; it's entirely possible that you would rebuild scenery each time you change from one sim to the other.I'd definitely want to save a copy of everything I currently had before I'd try it.I'm available to discuss issues in depth via pm, email, skype or Teamspeak if you still want to pursue it. DO RE-READ the user manual and see if you can gain any insights...On the other hand, there are gigabytes of free 1m and 2m photoscenery available for download that might be an alternative to risking your fs9 stuff. There are also other scenery making utilities that can be used in place of TP...Loyd

I realized one thing I was doing wrong over the weekend. I have FS8, FS9, and FSx installed on the same PC. (I like to create aircraft, and try to have them work in CFS2, FS8, FS9, and FSx when possible.)I installed Tileproxy in FS8; but nothing happened. I finally realized that was because you have to start Tileproxy in the folder under the simulator you are using. I was using the installed link in my FS9 folder, but was running FS8.I now realize if you have more than one instance of FS on your computer, you can copy the Tileproxy folder to each, but you also need to set up a "Start Tileproxy" shortcut that points to each, and be sure and start the correct instance when you enter the simulator.The terrian looked great in FS8 before the computer locked up Rolling%20Eyes.gif ; need to try again later. FSX may mess up my terrain folders; but I do have folders on another machine.-James