Sign in to follow this  
CaptainKorhonen

2X HD 6970 in Crossfire VS. GTX 580

Hello everyone, I just tested FSX on my new rig for the first time, and it looks pretty good. But the problem is, it kinda lacks the 'something' that keeps me playing it for hours and hours. I've been wondering whether i should get another 6970 and set them up in Crossfire, or just buy a single GTX 580. I'd like to get the 580, but i really don't like the idea of my 6970 laying around useless, because after all, it's not exactly a cheap card. Any opinions are welcome.

Guest jahman

Crossfire (and SLI) are useless for FSX, so that rules out getting another 6970, so get the 580 instead )although many say a cheaper 560 would do just as well). If you're not satisfied with the result, you can always return the 580 (or 560)! Cheers, - jahman.

Thank you for your advice. I've made up my mind now - i'll order a 580 next week smile.png Gonna get a better PSU and some more memory as well. Can't waittongue.png

Either your fsx.cfg settings are not optimally setup for your HD6970 (and your system in general) or you are extremely picky about what you would like to see on your screen (performance wise)I can tell you from weeks of testing both my GTX570 (ZOTAC amp! edition) and my HD6970 that the ATI card definitely gave me better performance results with the same IQ.What is your CPU's clock freq. and how much RAM + which type? Honnestly I do not think that buying the GTX580 will be worth the money spent... only my opinion though. Some key features I am using with my HD6970 are:AA : 4x (edge detect) -->override application settingAF : maxAA mode : super-sample AA FSX.CGFremoved the "usepools" line (if any present)rejectedtreshold = 65536removed the "fiberframefraction" line This gives me a permanent 25-30fps in VC view (PMDG 747) in airports like Aerosoft Frankfurt or FSDT KJFK and more importantly few to zero stutters.

To be honest, my setup runs FSX just fine on medium-high/high graphics and 4x AA and max AF (16x?). I've ran the cfg through ******* Altuve's automatic cfg tweaker and i'm also using an external fps limiter. My CPU is a 2600K that runs at 4,2 GHz and i've got 4GBs of 1333MHz DDR3 memory. It's just that i want a card that has enough punch to prevent any lag in FSX, even when i'm recording 1080p HD video with Fraps in rainy weather - those clouds are real fps killers. So that is the reason i asked whether i should get another 6970 or the 580. Thank you for helping thowink.png