Sign in to follow this  
invun

744X step climb issue, need help!

Hello everyone, this is my 1st post here.Last night I was flying PMDG 744X (ZFW=528,000 Lbs with 100,000 Lbs Fuel)from EFHK to EDDF, finding a step climb issue in VNAV page 2:I set step size as ICAO, and cruise altitude as FL360, the FMC reminds me to step climb to FL390 at xxxxZ/xxxNM.Flying at FL360 then step climb to FL390 with ICAO step size?Isn't there someting wrong?Then I set cruise altitude as FL300/320/340, it still reminds me to step climb to FL390!Later I set step size as 4000ft, it could remind me to step climb to a correct altitude.So, is there something wrong with ICAO step size?

Hello There is nothing wrong with the aircraft it does what you are asking it to do: follow ICAO rules. Do you know them? Well if you don't here they are: http://en.wikipedia....emispheric_rule and http://upload.wikime...e/Flgraphic.png Can you see what you are doing wrong? You start off where you should not be. Going from Helsinki to Frankfurt is a westerly flight all the way. So, you have no business being at 360 because that is for easterly flights. You must start with 350 if that is the closest to the optimum. And then step up to 390. You being at 360, the airplane is doing all it can to bring itself in line with regulations. In other words, you are asking it to follow ICAO but you start it wrong so, when it gets the chance (step climb) it will do what is correct. Beautiful isn't it? When you ask it to do 4000 steps you are basically manualy telling it what to do and of course it follows as the gratious queen that she is. Also, do you really have the time for such a large step climb on such a short flight? A step like that usually takes 1500nm to perform. And don't forget that in 4000 steps you have to start in the closer half. IE, if optimum is 330 and you have to chose 310 or 350, what do you choose? I guess is no brainer here that 350 is a compulsory choice because by the time you get up there the optimum must have gone a bit up anyway. This way you will avoid to make a step on such a short flight and also avoid the possibility of being stuck in a lesser optimum altitude because of traffic restrictions. If you do this, there is no way that you will need a step on such a flight; the step climb will be way past your Top of Descent point wouldn't it? Ionut G. Micu (John)

Thanks, but...I think the problem is ICAO step size, it should be 4000 above FL290.So, where I fly or how long I fly is not the key point.When I choose flying at FL360, it shall be a step climb hint to FL400, if there is a s/c point when I fly far enough.if I fly at FL340, it shall remind me to step climb to FL380, FL330 s/c to FL370, ETC. But whatever altitude I choose (below FL360 for 1000nm flight), it just reminds me to step climb at FL390. Sorry for my poor English, but I didn't meet it on LDS767.

You didnt bother to read his reply. You're flying at the wrong level for your direction of flight. That's why you're getting an odd level.

Thank you FrankG2625 . I hope Frank is your name (your forgot to put your real name per forum rules). Cheers,Ionut G. Micu (John)