Sign in to follow this  
Andrea1

V1-cuts and first single engine approach

Hi to all,in spite off the CTDs and "freezes" that me too have had yesterday I got also an interesting training: after having flown some "normal" flight I've decided to train myself about V1 and Vr cuts...to test the "feeling"of the NGX...As first exercise I selected a V1-cut engine failure (engine failure before V1)...done...wow...demanding but no difficut...I've programmed a tipical Malpensa-London Heatrow flight (LIMC-EGLL) with about 150 pax and 8,5 tons of fuel (I simplified the route inserted into FMC just SID and STAR and, departing from rwy 35 L I selected as fix the Romagnano Sesia NDB (RMG) 'cause in case of an engine failure it's better to left turn pointing at it instead of flying straight crashing into the near Alps just few tenths of miles ahead...)....Then the second exercise: Vr cut so this time I was committed to fly...all the settings as the previous flight...flaps 5 derated takeoff (assumed temp=45)...80 kts....V1....rotate...ops...engine failure...but it's better to deal with than the older pmdg 737 version....more acceleration...ecc...400 ft AGL I insert the A/P FL CHG (V2+5-V2+10) bank selector 15° and began a slight turn to the left (hdg 270) pointing at RMG...reprogrammed the FMC for a LIMC-LIMC flight via RMG, RMG HOLD, NOV rwy 35R ils)..1000 ft AGL... V/S selected (200 fpm) and 230 IAS we begin acceleration and flaps retraction...clean...i reengage FL CHG 230 IAS....arriving into the hold I complete the checklist...APU on....etc. etc..then I begin the descent at 4000 ft performing a circuit using hdg sel..rudder trim required is not excessive...ready for a 15° flaps single engine manual landing (Vref=153 weight about 63 tons/138K pounds, I extended a little the downwind passing abeam Novara NDB (NOV) at 4000 ft then turn into final for intercepting the loc with an angle of 30° (HDG 020) then...I can't remember the "numbers" for a single engine approach and (problably confonding with B767) I put the live engine at 60% N1 to slow down my bird but also with one engine the B737-800 WL has a fine aerodynamics and it's very hard to slow down!....still levelled (before intercepting the LOC) and with a speed still more than 200 KTS I lower the gear for helping slowing down and reduce the engine at 50% but she's still "lazy" to loose speed! (I was afraid on the contrary to slow her down too fast and undershot the Vref+7 speed I've decided: 160 kts) when stable on LOC and GLIDE I choose a 70% N1 also if still fast (about 185 kts) because by thinking that corrected N1 setting for single engine approach were about 74% I assumed that with a lower setting the bird would have slowed down till the right speed (the older pmdg 737 was more rapidly in slowing down but this one is realistic!!!) at 1000 ft AGL I was still rapid....180 kts...I reduced at 65% but it's too late to use speedbrake too....at 500 ft agl I disengage the A/P..still fast...175 kts....I touched down at about 170 kts!..Too fast...the airplane bounced off...in the air again..and, wrost...with a roll rate component that I've to rapidly counteract with my yoke (joystick)....touched again at about 150 kts....I've "ate" about 1/3 of the rwy but I've still about 2600 meters ahead of me and with the autobrakes selected in position "3" isn't a problem....arrived but I've to study a lot about N1 setting in case of single engine approach...BTWI've read that German's review (by the Goggle-translator) about 737 NGX, please could some real world 737 pilot tell me if the yawing moment in case of engine failure is well simulated into 737 NGX? Because in that review they claimed that in case of loss of thrusth 737 ngx would be "easier" to control than the real 737 because in real life in case of loosing engine poer the thrust lost effect would be more rapid..(but I can't well understand what that means: there could be hundred of ways for an engine to loose power from a rapid "engine seizure" to a slower way according to me) . I'd be quite interested in that subject because I decided that the next training session I'd have in a fixed base training simulator in Milan next month will be about "V1 and Vr cuts" so I'd like to know if the NGX performs realistically about that.Best RegardsAndrea Buono