Sign in to follow this  
MrGreen

Wiping my harddrive

Hi. I'm almost done with my new build for a NGX-computer ;) I have bought and received all parts (i7 2600K, Asus P8p67 Deluxe, Corsair XMS3 2000Mhz, CL9 memory, Intel 320 SSD 160GB), and I'm just about to start building it. There are just a few things I need help with figuring out before I go ahead. 1. Before, I have always used dBan to wipe my harddrive with zeroes because I was recommended that this would provide a much more "clean" install rather than just reformatting the drive with the OS install cd. This time I will however use my SSD for OS and FSX, and my 1TB WD caviar black will be used for storage and other games that I'm not to worried about the loading times ;) Is it still necessary to go through this long-drawn process? 2. Hmmm, damn, I forgot my other question :( But I'll give you another one: I have up to this point been using Firefox as an internet browser. But I just feel like its too big of a resource hog, especially memory wise. I was wondering if you guys had found a more lightweight option that would let me read .pdf documents in the browser, watch youtube without problems and, well thats pretty much what I do on this computer.

Hello William,Probably not a good idea to write zero's to a SSD drive.Like degragmenting,it might possibly reduce the lifespan of the SSD drive.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Hello William,Probably not a good idea to write zero's to a SSD drive.Like degragmenting,it might possibly reduce the lifespan of the SSD drive.
Sorry, I should have been more specific, I meant write the mechanical drive with zeroes.

unless you had or have a virus on the hard-drive, then I would say this is an unnecceary step.We used to this in the old days in tech support to get the customer off the 'phone.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020