Sign in to follow this  
kiwi55

Weather at small airports work round

Hi,I realise NZPI is not in the database and I will insert it however if you look carefully at the NZWR data it says 180/00 whereas NZAA is reporting 240/15NZWR always seem to report zero wind.Dave Jennings

Well, that's how interpolation works (and this situation is also very common outside New Zealand). Interpolation doesn't mean just copying the data from the closest station. Do you think it's realistic to have the exact same conditions in NZWR as in NZAA (that's ~70nm away)? Interpolation is used in many places (even FSX itself uses interpolation from 3 stations to calculate the ambient wind direction and speed- even though not very successfully). If you think this should be improved in any way, I am sure Damian will be glad to listen to any suggestion Kostas Terzides

Kostas Terzides

devteam_bannerA.png

Hi,i understand what you are saying but the wind at NZWR and many other smaller airports is 180/00 which is just not correct. Nothing like it. Although NZAA is 70 miles away it still should have a major influence on NZWR.Dave Jennings

OK if this is happening constantly, please tell me what's your maximum surface wind option set to? NZWT even though interpolated too with only one close source station gives me ATM (252217Z) surface winds 205/03 (while NZWR gives me 18000 as you say) Kostas Terzides

Kostas Terzides

devteam_bannerA.png

Hi,Max surface wind is 74KtsMy NZWT is showing 200/07 which is probably correct. However when I look at the interpolation it is using the same as the first picture above as are many airports in NZ?Dave Jennings

In my case it uses NZAA as a southwest interpolation source station (at 44nm). All the others are irrelevant. I think we dont have an issue here (at least on my machine). However, I've actually managed to get an interpolation details screen such as one in your first screen shot using NZPH. NZPH is an airport with no associated weather station. I've been wondering if this happens when ASE tries to interpolate the weather for an airport (not a weather station) (Look at the name in Report page, if it just says "airport" instead of a name). Can you confirm this? May be we'll get somewhere here. Kostas Terzides

Kostas Terzides

devteam_bannerA.png

Hi Dave, After review we're essentially looking at limitations in the current system. Sorry I don't have an immediate fix for you on this but I thank you for bringing up this issue and discussing it with us. The good news is that after spending a bit of focused time watching our weather processes work in New Zealand, we've decided to make low density data areas such as this a specific target for enhancement, which we are going to be starting development on very soon. In the interim, modifying the station database(s) should provide you with better results as Kostas recommended. Thank you Kostas! :)And thanks again Dave, please keep us up to date on any additional findings...

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Hi Damian,Thanks for your honest answer. It is a pity, however we look forward to improvements in the new program. At least you now know where to start.Can I have a little more explanation regarding."modifying the station database(s) should provide you with better results as Kostas recommended" Not sure how this is done?Also allthough many people are looking at this post I am sure that there others who are not following. May i suggest that you post a notice on your findings so that others will know this limitation and not keep working/posting on it.I will apply to be a beta testerDave Jennings

Hi Dave, We've had some additional findings on this issue over the past 12 hours... I'll be back with more after some in-depth testing...

Damian Clark

Following up on this, we are testing a simple (low risk) ASE improvement made for better interpolation of surface winds in low-density areas. As soon as preliminary tests confirm things are good we will be posting a hotfix (including some other recent changes and fixes). Thanks!

Damian Clark

If anyone experiencing this issue would like to test our changes, please download this UNOFFICIAL BETA update: http://dreamcatcher.hifisim.com/ASE-Update-B649.zip As this is not an official release, please use at your own risk. Any feedback regarding this would be much appreciated!

Damian Clark

Hi Damian The Beta B649 update has certainly improved the surface wind problem that was being experienced at regional airports around New Zealand - no longer do we see zero surface winds only but a realistic representation of the actual surface wind for these smaller airfields. Surface temperature is still aproblem however, generally being 10-20 deg C lower than it should be causing snow conditions on occasions where there should be no snow!!! Thank you for your continued support.... RegardsNeil

Thanks Neil, we'll look into it...

Damian Clark