Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

badderjet

VC Control animation thoughts

This is especially for the devs. As we all know and expect, during manual flight our hardware joysticks/yokes and throttles are mirrored by the respective controls in the VC quite instantly and without any lag or delay. However there seem to be a few things that got me thinking. For example, during A/T ARM, moving the hardware throttle will yield significant lag in VC throttle movement. As I understand it, in ARM you can freely move the thrust levers on the real thing. So I wonder why the visual effect differs from manual thrust control here (with AT completely off). This also relates to the approach idle issue many are seeing, i. e. the thrust levers advancing when approach idle conditions are met. Also, maybe it would be possible to "map" the changed thrust range during approach idle conditions to the existing hardware control range. What I mean by that in very simple words: Say, normal "settable" N1 range starts at 35% during flight. In that case, hardware aft stop will yield 35% of thrust.Let's further assume approach idle was 40%.During approach idle conditions however, aft hardware stop (in the current design of the add-on) still yields 35% whereas on the real thing I would believe it would in fact BE approach idle (as many have said the real thing does NOT advance thrust levers for approach idle, it just seems to reset the "zero-point" of settable thrust range). Couldn't you do the same thing for this add-on? Map the aft stop, the "hardware zero", to the approach idle N1 whenever conditions are met? "Squeeze" the control range to accomodate for the increased idle thrust? BTW the same thing happens, in reversed direction, when advancing your hardware throttle to the full forward stop. The VC levers will thence move back a bit, obviouly to comply with thrust limitations. On a related topic, during CWS operation a similar thing seems to happen to the yoke. As I understand it, the yoke is used to give control inputs to the AFDS, which then moves the controls to maintain the given pitch and roll angles. Similar to a 'bus.Although this might not be entirely correct (someone that has hands on experience might correct this), as yoke and control surfaces have a physical connection. So maybe it works a BIT different, as you, say, rotate the yoke 5° to the left in order to maintain a given roll, and the CWS would maintain that yoke angle (or slightly less) to maintain the roll.However, the current behavior in the VC during CWS doesn't seem transparent to me. As you guys seem to1- process all hardware input yourself, before passing data to FSX2- be able to control all 3D animations in a custom fashion- would it not be possible to mirror hardware controls in the VC at ALL times, during manual flight (or THR HLD/ARM regarding AT operation) and MAYBE CWS if this if how it also works on the real thing? During full AP operation everything seems good - the AP moves the yoke and AT moves the throttles. Does that make sense? Just a thought. sig.gif

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.

43%
    $10,985.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now