Sign in to follow this  
ArjenVdv

i5 2500k @ 4.5 - Does this look like a stable/good overclock to you?

Hello,Finally got my FSX working at my new rig tonight (updating GPU shortly). First of all I have to say: performance is great! I can run maximum scenery settings with at least 20 fps.Yesterday I already overclocked my i5 2500k to 4.5GHz, using a youtube video (with a lot of positive comments). Already run a 4 hour test in Prime95 for 4 hours without any errors. At full load the temps are about 60C. But I was just wondering, if this look like a good and stable overclock to you. People like Word Not Allowed and MrKen are PC experts so they probably know that... :PThese are my settings:100x45 MHzInternal PLL overvoltage = enabledMemory frequency: DDR3 1600EPU power saving mode = disabledOC Tuner = canceledDRAM timing control = 9-9-9-24CPU Ratio = autoIntel Speed Stepping Technology = disabledTurbo mode = enabledLoad line calibration = extremeVRM Frequency = autoFace control = extremeDuty control = extremeCPU current capability = 100%CPU Voltage = 1.350V DRAM Voltage = 1.500VVCCIO Voltage = 1.100VCPU Voltage = 1.900VChipset Voltage = AutoSpread Spectrum = disabledRest of the settings = autoThermal monitor = disabledExecute disable bit = disabledIntel Virtualization Technology = disabledC1E = disabledC3 = disabledC6 = disabledSo, performance is great, temps are fine, no errors in Prime95, but one thing I'm a little worried about. When I look in CPU-Z, it's saying 4500 MHz, which is OK of course, but it's saying that the CPU VCore is 1.336V, while it's actually been set to 1.350V. Is this OK and normal?I know this is a little off topic. But I'm overclocking for FSX only, and I want to make sure that my system runs stable. Thanks a lot in advance,

As long as your temps stay down you'll probably be fine, but if it was stable after 4 hours of prime you're probably okay

Looks good to me. You kept bclk at 100 & just used the multiplier to oc. That's the way to do sandy bridge.It's normal for vcore to drop a little bit under load. I wouldn't worry about 0.014v variance.My only question would be about the dram voltage. Was your memory kit made to run at 1.5v? It's not a problem unless you start getting memory errors, I was just curious. Incidentally, there are many users on the pmdg forum that know a lot more than me. I wouldn't call myself an expert at all.

Looks good to me. You kept bclk at 100 & just used the multiplier to oc. That's the way to do sandy bridge.It's normal for vcore to drop a little bit under load. I wouldn't worry about 0.014v variance.My only question would be about the dram voltage. Was your memory kit made to run at 1.5v? It's not a problem unless you start getting memory errors, I was just curious. Incidentally, there are many users on the pmdg forum that know a lot more than me. I wouldn't call myself an expert at all.
In the BIOS it's saying 1.5V next to the DRAM Voltage, so I just set it at 1.5V. I guess it's made for that voltage then. Would you recommend a higher voltage like 1.65V, even though it's not made for it?

In the BIOS it's saying 1.5V next to the DRAM Voltage, so I just set it at 1.5V. I guess it's made for that voltage then. Would you recommend a higher voltage like 1.65V, even though it's not made for it?
I would use whatever that memory is rated for. It should say on the package or a label on one of the sticks. At any rate, 1.65v is the recommended max memory voltage for sandy bridge. If it isn't causing any problems then it's fine to leave it like it is. If its too low it just won't work, it wouldn't fry anything.