Sign in to follow this  
avhpilot

NGX at the FSweekend 2011 (aviodrome)

Having spent a lot of time reading this forum i assumed the whole FS world was flying PMDG's NGX by now but when visiting the flightsim weekend event in the Netherlands 5/6 nov i found out that the lion share of 737 flyers were using the iFly or the PMDG NG (FS9) version. So many people are flying with multiple monitor setups using 2D panels with an abundance of hardware controller devices and so many are still using FS9. That was my impression at least.Also well represented is the ultimate area of "reality cockpit building" where thousands in cash can be spent to create a 1 to 1 copy of a 737 with motorized throttles and the works.Although there's no doubt that flying like this, being able to touch everything as in real life, must be priceless in the end ..you still won't be able to enjoy the shadows/ reflections in the glass gauges when moving in the air. VRinsight is jumping in the low-budget market for those who want a taste of this world. i even saw a proto-type of a miniature 737 overhead panel.Personally, i am happy to have spent my bucks in creating another sort of enviroment to get the best out of using the VC by means of 3-monitors with matrox-TH2G, TrackIR, EZCA.There's no doubt that the PMDG NGX VC represents the best possibly simulation to really get you inside the cockpit. That is when all (viewpoints) are configured correctly to your personal taste. When that is not the case, it can easily be considered annoying not being able to reach some items from the overhead panel or radio stack etc. But when all's set correctly it is 737 heaven !PMDG has made it possible to get all the hardware on my screen and even with a simple mouse with scrollwheel it's easy to be in control of everything and quickly. I notice how i slowly abandon using my vrinsight combopanel as i'm beginning to actually prefer using the mouse to touch the virtual hardware on my screen.So question is, 3D versus 2D flying, what will happen in the future?

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable