Sign in to follow this  
Thunderbird8

Brain teaser: Anyone had problems maintaining A/S on APP to KLAS?

What it says really. I was on the GS to do a full auto-land at KLAS (25R) and my speed was set in the speed window at VREF+5.Then the speed slowly dropped off to about 100kts and the aircraft stalled. Luckily I managed to recover and land safely. LAND3 was active at the time and all other functions seemed normal. I've checked all the obvious things like was the A/T and A/P on and all was set up exactly as it always is. I was landing into a diagonal x-wind of about 8kts, so no drama there. The only remedial action I took was that I clicked the speed button off then on again and moved the speed dial up and down a bit then back to VREF+5. The speed then crept slowly back up to VREF+5. I have done countless approaches like this in the 737 (and other Boeings) and this has never happened before.So, what did happen?? I am at a loss to know why my A/S dropped of like that.PS No I can't travel back in time to get a screenshot. Sorry.

Possible joystick config or sticky f1 key?Because of the way sim is designed and how it works around fsx limitations, even when you are commanding say idle, you can actually command lower than idle n1 setting that the plane wants, by pressing and holding f1 or if your joystick is set to have f1 or f2 repeated at anytime then it will command and override autothrottle settings thus resulting in the plane continuing to slow. Which could have caused your stall.The other one is weather, if you use something to inject weather into fsx, and for some reason it's not updated correctly then it can leave you with goofy weather that will make the plane become unable to maintain airspeed.Just two thoughts.

Thanks James, I'm inclined to think it might have been a weather issue more so than hardware as I don't have any of that modelled. I was using 'cold fronts' standard FSX weather as I just fancied a quick trip from KSFO to KLAS.