Sign in to follow this  
Naji

Autopilot clarification

Pretty quiet here, hein..? It seems I am the only one enjoying FU3 these days smile.png..!Apart from the Beechjet and the Mooney, all other planes that I have tried (Trainer, Arrow, ...) appear to exhibit some irregular behavior with the autopilot NAV and APR functions. Especially the NAV. I have noticed the ILS Frequency and the NAV Frequency sometimes are interconnected: entering an ILS freq changes suddenly the NAV freq.Opened the panels in Cockpit Designer, but everything seems normal.Anyone faced this issue?

I'm spreading myself thin but I'll look into it now. I'll admit that I haven't flown FU III under proper IFR that much. Even in quite nasty weather I've used the compass, the artificial horizon, the airspeed and dead reckoning most of the time. The AP has been used for ALT and heading hold. With the Beechjet I've used the map to home in on airports until I was able to spot them despite the Naji rain.However, NAV and APR may very well use the same frequency. NAV is the general homing in on a localizer while the ILS introduces the added option of a vertical glide slope guidance. While NAV will work from far away the APR won't kick in until you're decently placed withing the vertical and the horizontal boundaries of the ILS.

Naji or anyone else, it seems that I'll have to admit that I've never got IFR flying right in FU III. Specifically, while I've used APR to capture an ILS in FS and X-Plane I've used nothing but ALT and heading hold in FU III. Now I tried and I can't make it work. The frequencies for the airport of the departure are set automatically so it should be easy to do a circuit and make an ILS landing. However, the ILS beam seems to be off-center as the runway is concerned and APR doesn't trigger an ILS capture. A simple test--put your plane on the runway in the direction of the ILS runway heading. The course must be set correctly, eg rwy 17 = course 170. Then the lines should center and point straight ahead. Then if you park to the left of the runway the middle segment of the line should be off-center to the right and vice versa. I just tried Tacoma Narrows ILS rwy 17 and was unable to get everything lined up. Please point me to a location that works for an ILS landing and I'll try it there. I may very well doing something fundamentally wrong.