Sign in to follow this  
alpilotx

X-Plane 10, Landscapes of the world (125 screenshots)

These shots are to demonstrate the best that the scenery engine has to offer. Usually, a narrow view focused on a specific point. The shots and videos I posted were of a general point of view to demonstrate the normal perspective of the system from a user point-of-view. I was not trying to make any points that bash or praise XP10, only offer my expectations and how the sim differs from that. I think that, for the most part, we all want the same things: a realistic view of the world we have come to know with certain realistic (i.e. based on reality) scenery that allows us to identify with the scenery, a realistic flight model that doesn't feel like a paper airplane on strings, a decent weather system that, when it gets rough, makes things difficult in the ways that weather should (visibility, turbulence, takeoff/landing reduction of performance, appearance of clouds and flight though), and AI aircraft that behave independently as if having a mind and flight plan of their own with ATC that handles each aircraft (user and AI).I was dismayed at first, feeling like I was led astray. Like they were preying on us being naive and assuming a feature is similar to the old one, even though it's been overhauled severely, it must have the same degree of accuracy as previous, even if we haven't seen it. But it is, after all, our stupidity for not questioning this fully. The demo area, not having any Seattle-like features (including the Seattle Space Needle - I never found it, but assumed I just didn't know exactly where it was and didn't take the time), we all assumed the rest of the world would be different...more like we would expect. But that's just it. We put our beliefs ahead of our eyes and fooled ourselves. Austin and crew never demonstrated the autogen to be similar in any way to previous iterations of any platform and that it was even said that Austin had asked the scenery team for a plausible, but possibly not based on reality, a plausible city-scape. Well, a bunch of houses around 1 or 2 tall buildings in a metropolis doesn't cut it for plausible in any city except maybe Deltona FL. Home to 135,000 people with barely anything except 15-20 scattered shopping plazas with eateries and grocery stores. Hell, it doesn't even have a hospital. It has to send it's ambulances to Sanford or Orange City (could be a 30 minute trip given its winding roads that force you to obey the 35mph city-wide speed limit except on 3 sections of highway). This scenery would be perfect for Deltona. But it is the only city I know of that the autogen is believable. When i first learned of how Deltona was laid out, i was like "no way, theres no way a city that big is built like that" but, sure enough.