Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Ahh...now I can "breathe"!

My project is now finished....right before the holidays, and now I can "breathe". What project? Well, I wrote a few weeks back on AVSIM, about having only 23gb of space left on my Raptor C drive (came with only 300 gb), and for all intents and purposes, I really couldn't take chances on big downloads of scenery, ASE updates, or really anything else. So, I decided to get a new Raptor (10,000 RPM) hard drive and CLONE my old C drive so that I didn't have to start over. I was not too sure it could work as advertised. So, I bought a new Raptor, now up to 600 gb capacity, and called Jetline Systems to assist me. Since they built my computer, I was sure they knew how to do it without a hitch.I was right. They asked me to get Norton GHOST, and call them when I had the software and the new Raptor in hand. I can't say enough good things about Ken and Greg at Jetline. Their service is incredible, and it's fast, understandable, and correct! Ken, the I.T. guru at Jetline was totally responsive when I called, and never put me off. He took over my computer remotely and took me step-by-step through the procedure. I cloned my C drive to a Toshiba external hard drive, and then swapped drives after the cloned copy had finished. Then, that same day, Ken helped me get the transfer done. After 3 hours, the cloned drive had successfully completed the transfer.Needless to say, everything works perfectly. Took some flights today, and the speed is excellent. I detect no differences whatsoever. It really should get faster now, because I'm not at the end of my hard drive space. Now I have a saved C drive on the external hard drive in case of anything happening to my computer (whew!), and lots of "breathing" room for addons and whatever may come along.Thanks again....Jetline and Ken. You've made my holidays a lot happier. You've got me as a customer for life.Stan

Unless you are using photoscenery, 240GB should be enough for FSX in most cases. Non scenery stuff can be safely installed on another drive. Besides, SSD's become fairly expensive above the 240-256 GB range and you can always migrate to larger drive in the future.Stan's solution to use Ghost is an easy way to do that (I use it regularly at work), but since the operating system is on another drive you could even just copy the files, and correct the driveletter afterwards.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

My C drive also contains Windows (OS) and unfortunately over the last year, I may have installed other programs to that drive besides FSX. The USERs folder in that drive takes up a lot of space too. I have a 750 gb E drive that has plenty of room. I'm going to try to migrate some stuff from my C drive to the E drive soon. It's completely my fault that the C drive got as populated as it did. But, anyway, I'm really happy to have 300+gbs of space left.ALSO, when FLIGHT comes out, I will probably keep FSX and FLIGHT on the same Raptor drive. That was another reason that I made the move to a larger drivie right NOW! Does that make sense?Stan