Sign in to follow this  

Will Flight bring new people to FSX? I don't think so

Some people say that Flight might get people interested in FSX. I thought that too for a while, however, when I think about it some more, I don't think it is going to happen. Why not? Because Flight is aimed at people who wnat to install something and then play it. Period.Imagine someone installing Flight and playing it. "Nice graphics, lots of trees in the disctance, it's all very smooth too! Cool! I like to fly! I want more." So they buy FSX and install it. Ouch... that doesn't look good. Not good at ALL. Look at those popping up trees! And if performs even worse... "Man, what a bug ridden ctd'ing piece of **** this game is. And I have to pay 30 bucks or even more for just one add on...? Are they nuts? Back to Flight!"The thing is: everyone who visits this forum and loves FSX has invested a LOT of MONEY and a LOT of TIME in it. Without money for addons and hardware and time for tweaking, FSX is rather crap, right? I don't see many new Flight-buyers willing to invest a lof of money and time in a 6 year old game... I just don't see that happen... Maybe one or two will get converted but most won't, I am afraid...

Edited by Guest

Guest Id Rather Be Flying
Some people say that Flight might get people interested in FSX. I thought that too for a while, however, when I think about it some more, I don't think it is going to happen. Why not? Because Flight is aimed at people who wnat to install something and then play it. Period.Imagine someone installing Flight and playing it. "Nice graphics, lots of trees in the disctance, it's all very smooth too! Cool! I like to fly! I want more." So they buy FSX and install it. Ouch... that doesn't look good. Not good at ALL. Look at those popping up trees! And if performs even worse... "Man, what a bug ridden ctd'ing piece of **** this game is. And I have to pay 30 bucks or even more for just one add on...? Are they nuts? Back to Flight!"The thing is: everyone who visits this forum and loves FSX has invested a LOT of MONEY and a LOT of TIME in it. Without money for addons and hardware and time for tweaking, FSX is rather crap, right? I don't see many new Flight-buyers willing to invest a lof of money and time in a 6 year old game... I just don't see that happen... Maybe one or two will get converted but most won't, I am afraid...
Now just take your theory and take it a step further. WHAT IF that model allows people to expand their ability to game further with DLC and the SAME platform allows US to expand our simulation interest with DLC? Sounds like a common ground winner to me! Until someone can PROVE either way, let's see what shakes out down the road closer to release.Let's just say hypothetically the following were true would it change anyone's thinking or is it possible that only existing FS developers get it right?Coming May 2011. The following DLC's will be available for Flight FLIGHT NORTH AMERICA ATC: $24.95Fundamentals-of-Air-Traffic-Control-9781435482722.jpg North American Flights will no longer be sterile as you will be able to interact with Air Traffic Control centers in all of North America. With variations in voice, tone as well as radio chatter you won't know if your Flight is real or not! Available May 20 as a Live download for $24.95Airport Traffic: $29.95Charlotte-Douglas-International-Airport.jpg Add realistic aiport traffic and real world routes to all of your active Regions. Follow helicopters to their helipad or just get out and watch a A380 roar down the runway in brilliant HD sound. Available May 30 as a Live for $29.95Private Pilot FLIGHT Instructor $19.95worlds_hottest_flight_instructor_tshirt-p235417966691062193z8nr2_400.jpg Learn from real world pilots to earn a virtual private pilot license using real world procedures to help you also practice towards your real ticket. Requires Cessna 172SP expansion pack which is available separately for $24.95. Private Pilot Flight Instructor will be available for $19.95 as a Live download. Edited by Id Rather Be Flying

I didn't think this was the aim of Flight anyway?

Now just take your theory and take it a step further. WHAT IF that model allows people to expand their ability to game further with DLC and the SAME platform allows US to expand our simulation interest with DLC? Sounds like a common ground winner to me! Until someone can PROVE either way, let's see what shakes out down the road closer to release.
O yes, that would be great and I am hoping that will happen! But my post was mostly a reaction to people saying that Flight will get people interested in FSX. And I doubt of that's going to happen.
I didn't think this was the aim of Flight anyway?
I am sure it isn't. :( I think that MS would LOVE to see FSX go down and all of us simmers go the Flight-way, but even though I am still curious about what Flight will offer, I am also beginning to believe that won't happen... Just as there are people still playing FS9 now, there will be people playing FSX for years to come and I suspect even for a longer period than FS9 has survived.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.