Sign in to follow this  

Data transfer monitor for High Speed Users.

Gents,I have just recently upgraded the old 56k to a cable modem, service from Cox Cable.Included in the mid level package ( 1.5 mbps down the river ) is a nasty little data transfer cap of 7.5 gigs per month.Knowing that our hobby can eat up a large helping of data transfer ( online weather/atc programs, downloads, multiplayer, etc ), can someone recommend a good tool that will monitor and document my transfer levels ? Unfortunately, Cox does not seem to have a place for me to log in and check my current monthly usage.....ala cpanel for a web site.I have come across a few programs that would seem to be what I am looking for, but I would first like to hear what you would recommend.Thanks,Roger

Guest drobson

Jeez, that sucks! I'm with attbi, who has been bought out by Cox. So far, I've not seen any cap like that, but I suppose it's coming.Not sure if there is anything like what you are looking for, but you might try here: www.dslreports.com They do have some tools, both free and for cash available.Darrell

Darrell,Thanks for the link ! The forums at dslreports.com have been extremely helpful. I think I have found the tool I am looking for, something called "DU Meter". Apparently I'm not the only customer concerned with the specifics of the data cap, as seen in this thread: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,498...e,ath~mode=flatOnce again, thanks Darrell !Roger

Guest Stratus_Fractus

Roger,7.5GB monthly cap? Looks like that's the cap for uploads according to the forum link. Uploads are transfers with file sharing, FTP uploading etc. Their actual cap looks to be 30GB/month, which is extremely high compared to some other companies.

SF,There is some confusion as to what the limit is. If you use the link in that thread I referenced, yes, it would seem to be 30 gigs. If on the other hand, you use this link:http://www.cox.com/LasVegas/HSD/Residential%20Pricing.aspIt would seem to be 7.5 ( for the 1.5 meg downstream plan ). I have heard that you will get different answers depending on who you ask, when inquiring about the issue to a customer service rep. I still plan on asking though.Cheers,Roger

Guest drobson

Roger,If you plan on more computers hooked up to the net, go get yourself a router. You can get them for $50-$70 bucks. That way, you can hook up several machines to the internet and still only pay the basic charges. I've got 3 machines running with absolutely no problems. If you get another IP address, they charge $4.95 per month per machine. You can soon pay for the router at that price. I've got my own cable modem and router. With the $10.00 bucks a month they charge for modem rental, you can soon have that paid for with your own modem. Long term, you will save some bucks.Darrell

Guest Stratus_Fractus

OK Roger, I see what you meant.

The usual scheme...Cable company here used to offer it, but removed it when a lot of people downgraded their accounts (they had taken the most expensive based on salespitch, then found out they didn't need it).Now they charge

J,Yeah, someone made a good point about having a speed limit on the road, but no speedometer in your car to tell you how fast you are going :-lolI have installed "DU Meter", and it seems to be exactly what I need. While I'm sure that Cox's usage numbers will vary from what DU Meter tells me, it should be close enough to be a valuable tool to estimate transfer levels.Cheers,Roger