Sign in to follow this  
Pilot_76

Celestial Navigation

Hello all,I'd like to suggest (my programming skills is zero btw), to have a sextant tool just like Virtual Sailor's. I'd like to sail using Celestial Navigation and also by air (DC-3 etc..) with a "bubble" sextant. Sailing in Virtual Sailor is good but the greatness in the scenery of X-plane 10 is a lot more fun.

There's a bubble sextant available for FS9 (and probably FSX) - I got around to installing it in the stock DC3 and reading some tutorials but abandoned FS9 before I ever used it. A chappie describes using it on VATSIM here: http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=61158&start=0Someone else described a very basic way of simulating celestial navigation: have the sim display your lat/lon coordinates onscreen, but cover over the last few digits with tape. So instead of N51.763 W001.218 you'd see N51.7 W001.2. Then turn off the lat/lon display. Every fifteen minutes or so, turn the coordinates display back on again (easy in MSFS as it's a single keypress), read the digits not covered by tape, treat it as if it was your celestial navigation sighting, and draw circles on a sheet of paper to indicate your current possible position.I would like a bubble sextant for X-Plane too - there's a few other things on my project list though. (Does anyone know if X-Plane has an accurate night sky?)

If seeing the stars and the moon through thick cloud coverage and mountains counts then X-Plane has an accurate night sky. Flying VFR Celestial navigation with 100% cloud coverage at 100feet with the Himalayas a mile ahead & directly infront of you causes absolutely no problems whatsoever :LMAO: