Sign in to follow this  
_ben

HELP! 'New' everything for FSX, but Acceleration won't install

ASUS Notebook VX7SXIntel® Core™ i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.2GHz 2.2 GHz16.0 GBW7 SP1 64-bitDirectX 11.0GTX 560MDedicated Video Mem 3072Extra 1024 shared with systemDriver 268.56OS © ssd 279 GBDATA (D:) NTFS 394 GBSDATA1 (E:) NTFS 394 GBSDATA2 (F:) NTFS 394 GBAs an XP user till now, I read the forum advice regarding W764, ssd drives and intalling FSX on seperate drive.So, I installed FSX on the E: drive.Wow- fps to burn for the first time since FS9.But THEN, I tried to install Acceleration.Looked good to start with , started installing as expected.After a while it VERY QUICKLY displayed a dialog about directX9 (plus extra info?),then it proceeded to UNINSTALL everything from th Acceleration disk!Stumped, I thought maybe the (brand new GOLD Ed with the Acceleration Disk included)might have been faulty.So, impatient I went and bought another brand new GOLD Ed with the Acceleration Disk included,and it did the same thing? AAGH.I'm not very knowledgeable on WIN7, new hardware, etc, so I thought I would ask for help here.ThanksBen

Guest firehawk44
So, I installed FSX on the E: drive.Wow- fps to burn for the first time since FS9.
That has nothing to do with increasing fps. Installing on a separate drive only circumvents some additional security built into Windows 7. Anyone who installs a basic installation of FSX will have massive fps. Wait until you install several addons.You should go into the Event Viewer and see what error message came up that stopped the installation. We need to see the error message. If you're familiar with Print Screen, you can try reinstalling Acceleration and, when the error message pops up, hit print screen then open the Windows program called Paint. Once open, click on Paste and the screen shot with the error message will be displayed and you can write it down and pass it on to us here. Did you install SP1 and SP2. SP2 must be uninstalled before trying to install Acceleration. The following link might help too as it appears to be similar (asking for DX9) - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-gaming/fsx-acceleration-wont-run-on-new-win-7-64-bit/a5c74813-034b-4e0e-bf8f-f7145fdc31f3?msgId=99013256-c56f-42eb-b7e6-c4b2c6cd5d1c. You should also make sure Windows.net is up-to-date by running the Windows update program. Make sure you have Microsoft Visuals 2005 through 2008 installed as these programs are used for installation of this software. They will be installed when you run the setup programs but something might have happened where they were not installed. Since you installed FSX to the non-default folder, your registry may be corrupted. You can run the free registry repair tool from the following link to make sure the path is valid http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library.Best regards,Jim

Did you create a director on your E drive for FSX to install into. It must have one. It will not create one. I use E: FSX and point FSX to that directory with custom installation option.

That has nothing to do with increasing fps. Installing on a separate drive only circumvents some additional security built into Windows 7. Anyone who installs a basic installation of FSX will have massive fps. Wait until you install several addons.You should go into the Event Viewer and see what error message came up that stopped the installation. We need to see the error message. If you're familiar with Print Screen, you can try reinstalling Acceleration and, when the error message pops up, hit print screen then open the Windows program called Paint. Once open, click on Paste and the screen shot with the error message will be displayed and you can write it down and pass it on to us here. Did you install SP1 and SP2. SP2 must be uninstalled before trying to install Acceleration. The following link might help too as it appears to be similar (asking for DX9) - http://answers.micro...e6-c4b2c6cd5d1c. You should also make sure Windows.net is up-to-date by running the Windows update program. Make sure you have Microsoft Visuals 2005 through 2008 installed as these programs are used for installation of this software. They will be installed when you run the setup programs but something might have happened where they were not installed. Since you installed FSX to the non-default folder, your registry may be corrupted. You can run the free registry repair tool from the following link to make sure the path is valid http://www.flight1.c...sp?page=library.Best regards,Jim
Thanks JimHaving an un expected work day at present , so it willbe a day or so before I can try these things (EVeNT VIEWER?) (No to SP1 a nd SP2)ben
Did you create a director on your E drive for FSX to install into. It must have one. It will not create one. I use E: FSX and point FSX to that directory with custom installation option.
BarnstormerYes I did that.Thanks.

Guest firehawk44
(EVeNT VIEWER?)
The easiest way to find your Event Viewer is to click on the Start button in the lower left corner, in the Search Bar type Event Viewer and look up into the Menu and you should see it. Click on it to open it up. Once open, click on Custom Views then Administrative Events. Look for date and times of each crash and you'll see the error message (plus other problems with your system).Best regards,Jim

JimThanks for the info on the event viewer.I did get acceleration to work.I opened the disk to manually install:- run setup - 3 items clickable on the dialog[ (from memory):conditions of use, readme, install Acceleration item] - not sure if I clicked all of these last time- read the readme! - It said you need to install FSX SP1 before installing Acceleration I had forgotten that ( and not sure if an automatic setup would do that); but I went to the recommended fsinsider.com to dowload SP1. I then istalled Acceleration without any problem.Thanks for your help.

JimThe readme on my Acceleration Installation disk, says:Installing Flight Simulator X: AccelerationIf your computer does not support automatic installation, we recommend that you install Flight Simulator X: Acceleration per the following instructions to ensure the best experience.

• You must have Flight Simulator X Standard or Deluxe installed and activated before installing Flight Simulator X: Acceleration.
  • If you have not installed Flight Simulator X Service Pack 1 (from fsinsider.com) before installing the expansion pack, Flight Simulator X: Acceleration Setup will install it.

So, because I was intalling everything manually, I installed it myself, then Acceleration - and it worked.Thanks

Guest firehawk44
If you have not installed Flight Simulator X Service Pack 1 (from fsinsider.com) before installing the expansion pack, Flight Simulator X: Acceleration Setup will install it.
Well, that says, if you haven't installed SP1 yet, Acceleration Setup will install it. It doesn't say it has to be installed. Nonetheless, you got it installed and it's working and that's the good news.Best regards,Jim