Sign in to follow this  
Guest Rockcliffe

Found Real World Lancaster Bomber stuff

Guest rmce

Hi All,I am currently clearing an elderly uncle

Guest Leesw

If you find a brass RAF tunic button, try and unscrew the top and see if it contains a miniature secret compass. My dad still has his.

Guest rmce

No Such Luck for this yet.We are looking for the pencil, that snaps apart and hides a small map of Europe! We have probably thrown that out!Have you got his escape photos? How about the RAF scarf that you turned inside out to show in about 12 languages the sentnce 'please take me to the nearest allied base, and you will recieve 30(?) of these gold sovereigns!'He told me that his pilot was a seargent pilot for many missions, who was an insane Polish guy!(lol) This was the foreign name in his log book.Incredible guys eh?

You may have found a treasure chest in its own right. Where abouts do you live? I know of a museum here in Canada that would be very proud to display your findings. They are dedicated to the Lancaster.Please email me at danport@telus.net if you would like more info. My Father in Law's brother was a Lancaster crew member and was killed in action. What would really be nice is if you were able to take a few pics and post them here.http://www3.telus.net/dport1/Radar_small.gifRC3 - Just gotta' have it!http://www3.telus.net/dport1/Radar_small.gifhttp://www3.telus.net/dport1/dansig.jpg

Guest Leesw

I hadn't heard about the pencil. My dad was actually in the RCAF, a wireless operator in Halifax bombers. They had a lot of kit in common with the RAF but not everything. I saw some of that stuff when I was younger but I don't think I will be looking through his stored war stuff while he is still alive though.He did have to bail out when his bomber lost control due to flak damaged, but fortunately they had made it to the English coast in time. Unfortunately, my dad was the only member of the crew who made it out and lived, and then he barely avoided landing in the burning wreckage. That was two days before D-day and he was re-assigned to a new crew a week later.

Guest rmce

Dan,Thank you for your reply.OK, Scotland is where we hail from.Uncle Denis, the Lancaster bomb aimer, is now in a home, and as said, is reticent to talk about these days. His teaching as Bomb Aimer in 45 helped him decide to become a teacher (Maths and Science) in civvy street, and he ended up as a Depute Headmaster in tough schools in Glasgow's East End, where he ruled!However, we have a Canadian family in Welland! This was one of the 5 uncles, Robert. He emigrated as so many Scots did after the war. I have visited him and his family. Sadly he died some 5 years ago.The uncles are my wifes family, strangely (or really not so strange with Scots in Canada) is that I was visiting my side three weeks ago, also in Welland!!So, the Canadian connection could be seen as a valid contact indeed!I will take photos and send to you. The stuff is in great condition. Another uncle on this side started in 1939 as a Private in the Royal Signals and ended up a Major by 1944! He survived as well into his 70's, but sadly the War left him with Shell Shock and a very precise personality that stored and kept everything! Hence why this stuff has survived! It is also the reason that it has taken myself and the only surviving Uncle (Phil) six weekends just to tackle the attic and we are only half way there! More to be found I am sure!Series of entries in Log Book. 7 July 1944. Pas De Calais. 4 heavy bombs, troop movements. 3 hours later (I think) Pas de Calais. 1 4000 bomb railway yard. Sticky Landing.My own step father, still alive and kicking at 85, had a quiet (?) RAF type war as a ground airframe mechanic at the gentle peaceful Biggen Hill! Here, he (John), fixed aircraft (Spits) while JU 88's bombed and straffed! Tapping young 19 year olds on the shoulder, pronouncing them and aircraft serviceable, and sending them up for the e 5th time in 5 hours! Well, why should a few JU 88's get in the way of the Spitfire getting patched up!His real horror was the knowledge that he was the last human hand to touch so many of these young men. This is what lives with him still, the foreknowledge that he would probably not see them again!We msut never forget!Where is your museum?

Guest rmce

Leesw,Yeah, How the **** did they do it!How did so many stay sane and move into civilian life not as gibbering wrecks.Up close and very personal in these days, not the 25 mile AMRAM and laser bombing of today.

Guest Rockcliffe

If you're interested, I read a great book about a Canadian pilot for Bomber Command.It's called A Thousand Shall Fall by Murray Peden. I found it in the Ottawa Public Library and found it both fascinating and moving.Those guys had to grow up early.Blair