Sign in to follow this  

Hello All Thought you like these Shots of My First Real

EDIT: Michael, we appreciate the sharing of the experience, but as your first post on AVSIM, you violated a few of our rules... :)Images too large.Too many images in a single post..And, posted in the wrong forum (please post images in the screenshot forum)...Please read the rules in the screen shot forum, and you will see what our rules are.---------------------------I am no stranger to the Flight Simulation Community. I been around in avsim for now over two years. I just recently got out from behind the desktop and started my Real World Flight Training These shots were taken on Febuary 4th 2003 at 11:15AM to 12:30PM EST. As you may all well know I live in the cleveland tennessee area. I am posting these here for your enjoyment and to encourage all Desktop pilots that haven't benn on a Introductory flight to go try it you may like it!Fixed Based Operations at Hardwick Field KHDI at Cleveland, TNWell the this was one of the best expericance of my life! My new career training will be starting next week! I love flying!

Guest skylanepilot

Congratulations Michael!I'm curious as to how you found the "real" experience after learning the concepts on Flight Sim. I did things the other way around. I got my private license in the early 80's (Long before PC's and MSFS) and found a lot carried over when I learned to learn to "fly" the sim.BTW, you're now part of the 0.5% of the US population who has actually flown an airplane! Good luck!!

I think I will chime it here if it is ok!! I flew on the computer first, I find it much easier to fly a Cessna in real life than in FS!

Guest skylanepilot

I would certainly agree with you (it's easier to fly the real deal than the sim), but I'm still curious if the sim actually helped you with the real plane. For instance, did you ever get comments from your CFI about your quick mastery of a topic? Did you find yourself soloing or making your first unassisted landing earlier than other students? How many hours before you took the checkride?Even though the feelings and sensations are very different than the real thing, I think the sim can teach you a lot about the mechanics of flying. The question is does knowing those mechanics translate into real world mastery of the airplane?I'm asking from personal curiosity, but I also think it might be a way to enhance the flight training experience if students can use the sim in a directed manner.

Yes, I would say it helped. My instructor was impressed with my flying ability, he said he could tell it made a difference. I made my first unassisted landing after my third or fourth landing, I would have to check my log book for sure but I know it was fairly early. My first solo and check ride were about average with other students, and the biggest reason for that was weather, around both times the weather didn