Sign in to follow this  
oldave1

FSX Goes to black screen when exiting...?

I have just installed FSX Gold with the Expansion Pack...

Everything seems to be working fine, but when prompted with the dialog box "Are you sure you want to exit FSX" I click on yes and the screen goes just black and I have to "Ctrl--Alt--Delete to "Log Off" or restart my computer...???

Any Ideas as to what my problem might be and how to resolve this...???

Thanks for any info or help...

oldave...

Did you add the ENB series mod to FSX or are you running it stock? Check the graphics settings and disable DirectX 10 as well as lighting and see if that works... It would help if you also post your computer/video card specs.

My computer is an inexpensive HP Presario: AMD Athlon II X 2 - 215 Dual Core 2.7Ghz

Upgraded to: (2 X 2 GB) Corsair Dual Channel DDR2 Memory

Upgraded "On-board Video" To: Nvidia Geforce 8600GT video card *Will upgrade again soon to a better video card when I find out what I can use with my Motherboard...Maybe for around $100 used...Any suggestions...???

750GB Hard Drive...

I previously had FSX "Deluxe" installed and it ran perfectly for over 2 years, and no problems when prompted to exit FSX, It would return to my "Desktop" without any problems...???

I got the Gold Edition because of the added features I had heard about on one of the forums...

I do notice that with this "Gold" Edition I see a "P51" and a different looking helicopter in the aircraft options...

If my copy of FSX "Deluxe" was working fine should I delete the "Gold" Edition and reload the FSX "Deluxe" again and then reload the "Expansion Pack" after...???

Are these extra missions and aircraft on the Expansion Pack...???

I`m really not sure what this Expansion Pack is or what it does...???

Yes I`m pretty much a newbie to these types of things...*And Old* Hence the name: oldave...

Thanks again for any help or suggestions with this...

oldave...

FSX relies more on the CPU speed than on the video card, so for what it's worth you can save the money and run the video card you have. FSX Gold edition includes the base FSX along with the Acceleration addon (adding a P51, F18 and a few other goodies). It also contains the "patches".

Sounds like the issue you are having is due to the graphics settings and/or driver. Is your video driver current? Go to Nvidia.com and check to make sure it is. Then in FSX start with basic graphics settings, disabling stuff like DX10, lighting, etc and see if that has any effect.

Keep us posted and good luck!

Thanks Dighost...

I needed to update my Nvidia driver...works great now for what it is (Cheap Computer)