Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jeff S KDTW

FAA Written Test

Hello guys,I practiced hard for the written test I'm going to take next week (my first one), but for some reasons I'm very afraid of taking it. I know the stuff (because I learned it from an ASA book and the Gleim) but still I have a strange feeling.When you did the test, how was it like? Did you had the option of a), :(, or c) like in the Gleims? Was the questions exactly like the Gleims? Do you have a watch that takes your time? Do you see the FAA questions no. in the test? Can you put questions away for later that you are not sure of?Greetings,Christopher- - - - - - - - - - - - -www.rhodesyell.com/fly/My little aviation websiteRead my first solo report!

Chris,Calm down! I'm sure you will do fine if you have studied. The questions are exactly the same as ASA/Gleim except the answers will be in a different order (but alas they are the same answers).After the exam is over the questions you missed are not shown, but rather the subject codes that were missed are shown. Your instructor is obligated by 14 CFR 61.39 to go over these missed topics with you.Coming from an actuary (now SOA exams are HARD), FAA exams are quite easy.

If you've studied with the ASA/Gleim books, you know everything you need to know. I've personally only used the Gleim, but from what I understand, both books are identical. Yes, you will get exactly the same questions on your written that were in the book; the answers are in a different order, but the choices are the same. When you go into the room they will stick you down in front of a computer and let you take a practice test to make sure you know how to use the computer. When you're ready to take the test you click "begin" and you go straight into the questions. There is a clock on the screen that lets you know how much time you have left. (Expect to use most of the time given to you. I've never known anyone to have gotten out of there in less than 1.5 hours and usually longer) You can mark questions you're unsure of so you can go back to them later and you can always go back and change an answer. I don't remember if you see the FAA question number or not; I kind of think they don't show that to you so as to keep you from "cheating." I personally feel that using the Gleim/ASA books is like cheating, but since it costs me $80 to take the test you can bet I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure I don't have to take it again;) And don't worry about passing the test; it's a lot easier than you would have thought. (I failed two practice tests-- I wasn't using Gleim to study for that one-- before I took my PPL written and passed it easily. I've used Gleim for both my commercial and my instrument and passed them both with scores in the 90s) Just remember, your instructor won't sign you off for your written or your checkride unless he's confident in your abilities, so when you go in there, you're definately capable of passing, JUST RELAX!!!

Guest DNelson

I used the Gleim book a few years ago for my instrument written. The best use for it I found was to identify areas I was weak in. Since the questions are grouped together by topic, it was pretty obvious when I hit a topic I needed to study more. I'd be sailing through the book, easily answering questions on topics I knew well. Then I'd hit a topic I wasn't as familiar with and immediately start missing questions. That was a red flag to go study up on that topic.In my opinion the Gleim books are good for getting a feel for the test questions and for identifying weak areas. It is not a good way to gain the basic knowledge you'll need to fly safely. That's what ground school and good CD-ROM courses (like Jeppesen) are for.BTW, got a 97 on my instrument written. :-beerchug Dan

Lol man, its just a test, you arent going to have any problems especially with the test prep materials that are out there. I mean they are identical. Youll be just fine as long as you dont try to rush and just think about what you are reading, there are some trick questions that have a right answer and then a correct answer so think about them. The instrument was by far the hardest and i got a 94 on it thanks to Gleims.Best of luck man,MaxRemember anything more than 70 is overkill ;)

Relax! If you've studied you shouldnt have a problem. I think my private took around 50 mins and all the other tests I've taken have been under 30 mins total. The Instrument Ground Instructor (Instrument Rating written basically) took me 13 mins to do lol! If i can remember I'll try and post some screen shots of the what the test should look like...provided its LaserGrade (pretty sure its the standard now).skyy

Guest Jeff S KDTW

So, how'd the test go?_____________________________Jeff S. KDTWPP-SEL