Sign in to follow this  
reball

This Challege really has me stumped--any thoughts?

Sorry to hijack slightly. What's the difference between slipping and crabbing? I understand a slip to be left rudder countered with right aileron (or vice versa). Used to lose altitude and speed quickly. Crabbing is putting the nose into the wind but you still have to do the same crossed controls maneuver to maintain runway heading, at least thats how I do it.

While crabbing, you do point the nose upwind, but you don't bank. The aircraft's motion is in-line with the runway, but the aircraft itself is not.

In a severe crosswind, you could be looking well off to the side at the runway on approach. You would want to convert the crab to a slip just prior to touchdown, though, setting down on the upwind wheel first.

Crabs walk sideways, hence the name.

Just tried this challenge again to affirm my suggestions and they definitely work. I had to keep ~40% power right down to a few feet off the runway to maintain alignment and stop drift. Then I reduced power put it down as genty as possible and maintained control. Landed me a 1494. :)

I flew in a sideslip the entire final approach from a 1/2 mile out with 50% flaps at 80 knots all the way down. The extra speed and lengthy runway give plenty of control and time to correct.

Just tried this challenge again to affirm my suggestions and they definitely work. I had to keep ~40% power right down to a few feet off the runway to maintain alignment and stop drift. Then I reduced power put it down as genty as possible and maintained control. Landed me a 1494. :)

I flew in a sideslip the entire final approach from a 1/2 mile out with 50% flaps at 80 knots all the way down. The extra speed and lengthy runway give plenty of control and time to correct.

Dave I couldn't have done it without your help, I did try side slipping among other tactics but with a max of 25% throttle, would never have occured to me to go in with as much as 40%. Took me four attempts after your tips but I finally scored gold, after what must have been 100 landings... cheers!

Great! Glad to hear it helped. 40% does sound very high, but the RV is so draggy in a slip so you can easily hold a proper landing airspeed.

Good luck on the rest!

Finally nailed it too!!!

If I only had working toe brakes my rollouts wouldn't suck as bad as below. Thank god this is not a grading criterion.

rv6challenge2gold.jpg