Sign in to follow this  
ega

Blue screen in Windows 7 64 bit

In the last couple of weeks my FSX computer (i7 2600k, 8 Gb memory, GTX580 card) is having systematically blue screens.

It seems the problem is related to "KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED" caused by driver "ntoskrnl.exe", a W7 system file.

I tried to find out a solution to this issue (other than a reinstall of W7) but found no working answer.

I did a system recover to the "last kown working condition" with no results either. I may try next a repair with the W7 disks.

I wonder whether anyone had already a similar issue that may recommend something to fix this problem.

Thanks

Edmundo Azevedo

Guest firehawk44

Could be a corrupted driver or an incompatible piece of software. Ntoskrnl indicates a possible memory issue. When I first set up my current system I received BSODS and ntoskrnl.exe was the culprit. Turns out the memory settings in my bios were wrong (frequency, voltage, and/or timings). I ran several memory diagnostic software and everytime my system would pass. Then I changed the memory frequency in the bios to Auto or 1333MHz. My memory has a max frequency of 1600 MHz and I was trying to run my system at that frequency. But 1600 MHz only works when the BIOS profile is set from Manual to X.M.P. Manual profiles can only handle the lower frequencies as noted in the SPD Tab of the CPU-Z program. You might also run a freeware program that checks your system and tells you if you need any drivers to be updated. I use Driver Performer. It found over 100 drivers out of date on my brand new system, mostly related to harddrive drivers. To have the program download and install the updated drivers I had to buy the program (not expensive). At least you can try a program like that to make sure all your drivers are up-to-date.

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks Jim! You are always very helpful!

I understand what you say bur I assembled this system 1 year ago and it has been working fine. Only in the last couple of weeks I have this problem. The only thing that I changed was the video card drivers (Nvidia to 301.24 to take advantadge of the nice findings by Word Not Allowed!). I cannot remember if I had these BSOD before that.

Even so do you think it may be memory-related?

Edmundo Azevedo

Guest firehawk44

Even so do you think it may be memory-related?

I'm just telling you things I found from research on the Internet that others had regarding the 'KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED' BSOD and the problems I had getting my system operating properly. System memory is funny in that it will work properly much of the time even in a bad configuration but put a little stress on the system and the crashes, especially BSOD's begin. There is no set solution to this problem. As I stated, it could be a driver that's incompatible with Windows 7 or a corrupted driver. It could be an incompatible software program. Overheating. Overclocking (if applicable). For further information, check out this link - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff557408(v=vs.85).aspx. You can do some investigating yourself by simply Googling 'KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED'. This is a common problem and you can read different possible solutions or situations that may apply to you and your system.

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks Jim. I did indeed investigate this problem, but could not find a solution that applied to my case.

Will investigate further because the BSOD are now constant - but only for demanding situations such as on FSX!

Thanks again

Edmundo Azevedo