Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stratus_Fractus

Concorde - Engine cabin sound (Physics)

Guest Vulcho

Hello,I have a question about the Concorde. When you are inside the plane, and it passes through mach 1, can you still hear the engines?The reason why I am asking this is because in Physics we are studying about waves. I asked this question but it was somehow left unanswered. Here's what I think I know about this. :)All mechanical waves, including sound, must have a medium to travel through. When you are in the cabin, the only medium the waves could reach your ear through is the body of the aircraft. Then they would have to go in the air inside the cabin in order to get to your ear. That means that they face a boundary, metal to air, thus lowering the waves altogether. So, technically, you would hear the engine noise, but compared to a 747 engine for example, it should be much, much quiter.But then, you have to consider, the amount of sound produced in the engines is all the way in the back where the combustion takes place. The sound is mainly directed toward the back of the engine, and most of it escapes into the air behind the plane. Since the plane is moving at mach 2.02 then those sound waves never reach the ears of the passengers.As you can probably tell, I am extremely confused b/c I don't know where I am right, and where I am wrong. So, could any kind soul please explain this matter to me.Thank you,Alex.AlexNatchev@Yahoo.comERROR:Banner is 6.6KB, 15 pixels (width) above limit. Cannot Display!

Guest Stratus_Fractus

From what I've read, comments were made that you 'left sound behind, and you could no longer hear the engines.' No idea if that's right or not. :)

Guest Vulcho

I read a post in some message board that sound is present in the Concorde cabin. In fact, it is pretty loud compared to some modern jets. That is mainly caused by the 30 year old Olympus engines. That is 707 era. As you said, sound travels faster at solid mediums. The aircraft body being solid, absorbes a lot of the sound waves from the engine vibrations, and transferes it to the cabin. Thanks for the link. I had a chance to personally speak with my teacher today and she agreed with the post I had read online.Alex.AlexNatchev@Yahoo.comERROR:Banner is 6.6KB, 15 pixels (width) above limit. Cannot Display!

Guest Stratus_Fractus

Guess I was wrong. Well, you learn something every day!