Sign in to follow this  
Guest SoarPics

Simpeds f16 w/ MSFS 2004

Anybody get the Simpeds toe brakes to work with MSFS 2004, I'm havinga problem getting them to work. No software comes with them.Any help would be nice.I'm using Hotas Cougar w/Simpeds, I have the toe brake axis selectedL toe brake z rotation and R toe brake as Dial I believe it is the default. My brake key is the trigger on the joystick.P4 Aus p4p 800, 1 gig ram 3200, g-force four.regardsNoboru

Guest SoarPics

Are your Simpeds the gameport version? If so, they should just plug into your Cougar and be recognized as Windows Axes 7 and 8. Once CCP sees them properly you can adjust the Deadzones and Axis shaping as you wish.You should delete any toe brake assignments you have in the sim. Let the Cougar and CCP handle it all.Hope this helps,Greg

The Simpeds are gameport /analog, they plug right into my Hotas Cougar.MSFS 2004 seems like it doesn't regonize them.I set up the axises for right and left toe brakes. Then the brakesget messed up, they won't release.regardsNoboru

Guest SoarPics

"MSFS 2004 seems like it doesn't regonize them."It doesn't have to, Noboru. It will simply see the Cougar as a single device that also has the rudder pedals and left and right toe brake axes. MSFS (and Windows) won't see the Simpeds if they're plugged into the Cougar. In fact, if MSFS and/or Windows does see the Simpeds then there is something wrong."I set up the axises for right and left toe brakes. Then the brakesget messed up, they won't release."Not sure if I understand, but are the toe brakes simply staying on all the time? If this is the case, you need to increase the deadzones for those axes (in FS).It's important that you let the Cougar and CCP control what happens in MSFS. There are a couple buttons/switches on the Cougar that I use in DirectX mode, but for the most part I use CCP and Foxy to program the Cougar. The Cougar software is far more powerful and configurable than any in-game set-up.Cheers,Greg

I'm considering buying the Cougar myself here in the near future. I've seen the Simpeds on the cougar.frugalsworld.com site, and they seem pretty solid.Which model in particular to you have? Do they all have the toe brake function? Just trying to figure out which to buy. They seem a better bet than the CH pedals anyway, especially for the Cougar.Thanks!~Nate

Guest SoarPics

The Simpeds are of the highest quality, but the CH pedals offer great bang for the buck. The gameport version are the pedals you'll want. They will have to be rewired to get the toe brakes to work with the Cougar. Simple enough to do, and there are instructions at Cougar World.Don't buy the USB version... the gameport pedals will plug right into the Cougar and all axes of the pedals will be recognized.But if you do decide on the Simpeds you won't be disappointed.Greg

Thanks Greg,I just recieved my simpeds a day ago, I plug them in my Cougars, reflashed them an everthing. Checked the control panel set that up where the left toe brake is set as axis 8, the right toe brake axis 7 etc..Went into MSFS 2004 control, joystick axis, change joystick button, set that up. Should I not set that up? I tried it either way still didn't work.Should I be using foxy to program the toe brakes?The rudder axis works fine, one time I did get differential brake message but the brake stayed locked up?The only axis I can control are x,y,z for the deadzone, Msfs 2004 only seem them.regradsNoboru :-(

Guest SoarPics

"Should I be using foxy to program the toe brakes?"Yes, don't use MSFS or Windows DirectX.Try to use Foxy and CCP as much as possible. An example pertains to the Pitch and Yaw trim configs I use. I use MSFS to control my Pitch trim by assigning it to the ANT ELEV knob. But the Yaw trim I control in Foxy because there is no axis within MSFS for Rudder trim, so I program that to the MAN/RANGE knob.The advantage you can see from using Foxy to assign and program your toe brakes is that you can make the toe brakes become progressive. By that I mean that as you press harder on the brakes you will feel more braking, then as you release braking pressure you'll feel less braking. No game offers that but Foxy can.Check out the various programming sub-forums at Cougar World for some great community driven solutions and programming ideas: http://cougar.frugalsworld.com/Good luck,Greg

I gotta say... after reading the forums on the Frugalsworld page, along with comments left and right on the Cougar, I'm not all that sure I'm ready to drop bucks on that stick. I trust it feels great and would be a blast to have, but I definitely don't have the resources to deal with the potential problems or needs to upgrade. Seems to me like buying it gets you about a year of reliable coolness, then it starts falling apart, and I dont want to have to spend the money times to to get the awesome-sauce hall sensors and whatnot installed. At least not right now. Maybe if I get a career one day and have extra money to blow. Hopefully the Cougar will be around long enough.Anyway... I think it's more realistic for me to grab a Saitek X-45 at present. I'm probably still gonna go for rudder pedals too though. What do the Simpeds cost for a basic version with toe brake capability? Thanks!~Nate

Guest SoarPics

To each his own. I have alot of money in my Cougar, but no other piece of hardware has done nearly as much to enhance my simming experience. And ten years from now, after I've spent gawd knows how much on video cards, cpu's, memory, and what not, my Cougar will still be going strong and serving me well.Simply put... it was the best money I've yet put into this hobby.Regards,Greg

I trust in the Cougar's investment status... there's a problem with simultaneously being a poor college student though ;) One day, I'm sure I'll grab it.Anyway... any info on the Simpeds prices?

What I was doing was just using the default keypress from MSFS 2004, with my Hotas Cougar. When my Simpeds arrived almost 8 weeks after I pluged them in and used the default MSFS 2004 axis setup in the assignment keypresses. It just very easy and no programing hassels.But not the case, do you have a MSFS 2004 cougar file that I can use ?ThanksNoboru

Guest SoarPics

"... do you have a MSFS 2004 cougar file that I can use?"On this page are three for FS2002 that will work fine in FS9. Red Dog's is by far the most complex, but he certainly knows how to program the Cougar and get the best out of it.All my profiles are aircraft specific... they would probably create more problems for you than they solve.Good luck,Greg