Sign in to follow this  

Rember this Movie??? I don't...

Hi guys & Gals (Maybe),I hate to bring this into the forum but I have been trying to think of the name of this movie for a couple months now & want to buy it, please somebody help with this stupid question!!!The Movie: "A true story of an Airliner that looses hydraulic power and the pilot needs to fly it completely by the thrusters alone, the pilot gets it to touch down and it rolls down the runway". Actual video clips of the real event are seen on shows like real TV etc... but I would love to see this movie again but can't remember the name, please help a veteran with his bad memory!Thanks to all who have at least read this!!! (8-|

Hey There,Not sure if this is the movie, but the only one I can think of is "Ground Control" (I'm pretty sure that is the name). I think it was a 737 (?) that lost the hydraulics and the pilot used the thrusters to turn left or right. They also timed the turns to make it back in. Hope this helps!!---------------------------------------Jeff M.

Guest Stratus_Fractus

Well I don't know of a movie like that, but something like that happened to a real UAL DC10 about twenty years ago (more or less, I'm not sure).

Guest tinman

I believe you are speaking of UAL flight 232, a DC-10 which lost all 3 hydraulic systems and declared the emergency into Sioux City, Iowa on July 19, 1989. The aircraft had to be controlled by differential thrust due to the loss of the hydraulic systems, and although they made it to the runway, the plane impacted hard enough to cause it to break apart and catch fire. I have had the opportunity to meet Cpt. Al Haynes, who was the captain on this ill-fated aircraft, and am quite familiar with the accident. There was a movie made for TV about the incident titled "Crash Landing: The Rescue of Flight 232". Here is a link:http://www.airodyssey.net/articles/movie-flt232.html

Guest Stratus_Fractus

Yup, that's the one.

Thank you all very much!!!Tinman "You the Man" Thanks a lot, I am going to the video store right now and try finding it for tonights movie!!!Once again, thank you all for the help.PS. I knew that their were survivors, but had no idea that any of the crew survived! That's awesome. I respect that crew for the genius thinking that it must have took to time everthing perfectly like that. Although they did crash, they still did the impossible if you ask me!I was in 2 emergency landings, one in a C-5 Galaxy returning from Haiti, we were coming home from "Operation Uphold Democracy" and had no weight in the bird at all, only 8 passengers (me) and we hit hard and bounced then landed a little crooked and the plane jerked hard left, I was sleaping with no seatbelt on and seriously went over 10' feet (3 meters)in the air! The second one was in a C141 Starlifter returning from "Operation Open Venture" (Training exercise)when I was leaving Puerto-Rico - the pilot had to circle back because the gear failed to raise (no biggy, but with no windows to see what was happening and watching the flight crew running back & fourth gave us all a good scare!"Ex - Sgt. Dan PUnited staes Army RangersI love all counties! Foriegn & Domestic!We are all Unique not wrong or right, just UniqueWWW.UniqueMinds.NetPeace in the middle east!"

Guest tinman

Yep, the cockpit crew all survived, although the cockpit was torn free during the crash, and squashed to a height of what looked to be about 3'tall (I am recalling from memory of pics that Mr. Haynes showed). Al Haynes continued to fly for a couple of years after he recovered from the crash before retiring, and he now holds seminars telling of his experience and teaching the importance of readiness for such events. If anyone ever gets the chance to hear him speak, do NOT miss out on it. Words can not express how great of a speaker he is, and how strong the message he conveys truly is.

Denny Fitch, the DC-10 instructor from the UAL's-TK who was riding in the back and actually worked the throttles on that flight just retired from UAL as a 777 Captain and was featured in UAL TV commercials last winter.Tim757

There was that made for TV flick about the 767 that was "misfueled" and had the flame-outs and deadsticked it into a closed airport in Canada.They made the runway...well, stayed on it after collapsing the nosegear.Tim757Tim