Sign in to follow this  
Guest N73GX

Birth an AOPA member

Guest Jeff S KDTW

This is a challenge to everyone here. Period. As many of you know, the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) works diligently to promote general aviation and, more recently, to combat the onslaught of political knee-jerk reactions that are becoming so prevalent in today's hypersensitive climate. Many here have personally experienced the difficulties associated with new flight restrictions over New York, Chicago, Presidential retreats locations, and even Disney World. Although some of these restrictions have good intent, they are often over-reaching and/or ineffective. That is when AOPA steps in. Not only does AOPA battle companies like TIME magazine which recently ran ads showing a Cessna parked with a Nuclear Powerplant in the background suggesting what a terrorist could do to a powerplant with a small plane, but they continuously work to stave off politicians that run amuck--Daley-cide. However, now more than ever, they are required to fight battles on many fronts, such as against Chicago's Mayor Daley, New Jersey's Congressman Steven Rothman's (D-N.J.) proposal to ban GA aircraft within 15 miles of NYC, or Michigan's current law requiring criminal background check of all flight students. There is an easy way to help promote AOPA, which won't cost you anything and may actually save you the cost of one year of annual dues (if you get three friends to become members (just have them give the rep your name and AOPA number.)) So, here is the challenge: I challenge each of you to either become a member of AOPA yourself or find at least one other person to join. It's that simple. There are so many benefits to becoming a member, plus the help in funding these fights that help us all! For specifics on member benefits, see the AOPA website here: http://www.aopa.org/It's important to know that you don't have to be a pilot to join--heck, I joined even before I started taking flight lessons. An AOPA member is also great for flight simmers as it comes with an awesome monthly magazine, flying technique articles, on-call staff to answer questions, etc. For $39, you will get more than your money's worth and you will help protect your local airports!_____________________________Jeff S. KDTWPP-ASEL

Well said Jeff. Just bumping this to the top of the list so it's the first thing people read.RobAOPA member, PPL-ASEL

Well I want to join... anyone want to be my daddy :( ?Jason

Guest N73GX

I would just like to say that I am a member of AOPA. I have enjoyed my membership this year. Not only is the extra information that is available through the AOPA site and the email I get, the big thick airport directory is really useful for FS and Airport sim making. With all the interior and exterior benefits from AOPA I feel they are the correct choice of organization to handle my personal affairs when it comes to my view of general aviation. P.S. and the hat is really cool as well. Thanks