Sign in to follow this  

heartbreak

I recently purchased from Borders Books a book entitled The Big Six by Geoff Jones, a book that I would highly recommend to my fellow aviation fans who frequent AVSIM and other like sites. Most of the pics in the book were taken between 1990 and 2000 and contain some of the classic modern aircraft that are no longer with us, very sad (as I go for the box of tissues). The BIG SIX refers to Northwest, Delta, Continental, U.S. Airways, American, and United Airlines. Not only is it quite sad to see these carriers (potentially all of them) bite the dust in the next few years, but also to note some of the beautiful pictures contained within the book of aircraft that are no longer with us (in great numbers) and those that soon won't be with us either.There's a beautiful American 727-200 shimmering in the Caribbean sun on page 11, a classic American Eagle ART-72 on page 24, the supurb and forever classic L1011-500 sitting on the tarmac at Ft Lauderdale FL (sniffle) pg 40, the unique and often unappreciated Delta MD-11 breaking ground at Atlanta's Hartsfield on page 51, the good ole ASA Embraer EMB-120 Brasilia at ATL pg 56, Delta 727-200 ATL pg 57, Northwest DC-10-40 and -30, one breaking ground and one landing at Detroit's Wayne Co airport on page 67, pages of aircraft in the US Airways livery pgs 75-85, USAir Fairchild-Dornier 328-100 pg 90, Continental DC-10-30 pushing back at Newark pg. 95, and many, many others.Soon all we will have are mostly twin jet variations of JetBlue or whatever. This is very sad. I want to see variation and the classics stay.Thank you for understanding and sharing this tender moment with me, Robb

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!