Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

Winds and FS ATIS

Guest byoung

I am using Active Sky and it assigned the winds 300 @ 10 at KMDW and FS ATIS indicated that runway 4R was the active.What is up with this? Anyone else have strange issues? They have arunway 31L R C which should have been the assigned runway.Barry

Guest ssurjap

I believe it depends on when the ATIS was set. If the ATIS was set before the winds shifted, that is when you got handed off to Approach, and the prevailing winds favored runway 4, FS will set approach to that runway. It doesn't matter how many times the winds change, but 9 times out of 10, it'll keep the runway.I believe MS did it this way because of the complaints about the ATC in FS2002. If you remember then, if you're using real weather and, when you contacted Approach the winds favored runway 4, Approach set the runway to 4. But when you contacted Tower and the runway favored runway 31, Tower will tell you to make left or right traffic for the correct runway.

You are correct in stating MS made a change in this area. If you want improvement in this area mail MS at tell_fs@microsoft.com .W. Sieffert