Sign in to follow this  
foibles

What water chiller setups have you used (or considered)? Pros & Cons?

Aaahh... I understand the concept, Sarah. If the cpu overheats, a fire starts, the wood burns, the water pipes melt and the water puts out the fire... very interesting... v-e-r-y interesting... Hmmmm.. I like this... B)

:LMAO:

It's basically a big wind box, with 8 slow speed fans, 4 in, 4 out, so practically silent.

it uses a 24" x 24" radiator, or a car radiator would do with the right fittings,

2 pumps, 1 for supplying the components (In Parallel through a manifold on the pump discharge)

1 for feeding the water on a separate cooling loop through the radiator.

The whole system takes about 9 litres (2 gallons) with a lid on the header tank (Acrylic Fish Tank) to prevent evaporation.

The rest is all standard blocks, CPU, GPU, MB, & Memory.

The MB sits on a PC Acrylic Test Platform, with the PSU Drives securely hidden Underneath.

Everything sits 1.5" off the bottom, so even with a leak, the PSU will be above water so to speak.

Also a drain at the very bottom of the casing so you can drain the system without having to fiddle around inside.

Lord have mercy, Sara Louise! That is fantastic!

Of course, I don't have the DIY skills for anything like that, apart from not having the space. lol

But it is very interesting. What pump model are you using? And what chiller?

Also, the Bit-tech article I referred to says this, "A word of warning though: adding a radiator to a loop with a water chiller is counterproductive, as the radiator will actually transfer heat from the air into the loop, raising the temperature of the coolant. Do not use a radiator with a water chiller!" You obviously don't agree!

Vic

That's a no chill system, but if It hadn't worked as expected, I was going to place one on the radiator outlet, then back to the header tank.

I guess it would depend on what temperature you are coming down to and where you put the radiator in the system.

If you have the pump - CPU - radiator - chiller - header tank - pump - then it would lower the energy required to reduce the temperature as you have already removed a big chunk before it goes into the chiller,

It would depend on your type of system, whether closed loop, or semi closed.

As regarding room, the 'computer' sits in the hall out of the way from everyone, and acts as a stand now for some books, a telephone, and a vase of flowers :) Cables up to where needed.

The pumps are alphacool, they are high flow pumps, but can turn them down to some degree, they don't need to run at full speed for this setup, so very quiet too.

7660738218_6bb2f37d0b_c.jpg