Sign in to follow this  
Ivan Garcia

Overcloking ... Help ! please

Hello.

I've got an AMD FX-6300 6 cores at 4.1 GHz ( Unlocked multplier ), I wanted to bring it up to 4.5 GHz ( or more ) If I could. It is a black edition CPU. My multiplier is setted at 20.5 and FSB to 200, so 200 x 20.5 = 4100. If I bring up the multipler to 21 ( 21 x 200 = 4200 ) LinX shows me an error. However, If I put FSB 205 ( 205 x 20.5 = 4200 ) No problem at all but the temperature is growing so quickly.

Normal speed CPU is 3.5 GHz - Overclocked to 4.1 GHz and wanting to overlock it up to 4.5 GHz.

Temperatures - 3.5 GHz multiplier standard - 30 degress

- 4.1 GHz multiplier 20.5 - 40 degress

- 4.2 GHz multiplier 21 ( even with error 42 degress ) // FSB 205 * 20.5 = 4.2 GHz,, temperature 51 degress

Why I'm getting so high temperatures when put up the FSB instead of the multplier, I wanna bring up the multiplier instead of the FSB to reduce the temp, but I cannot, Why ?

My speecs :

AMD FX-6300 6 4.1 GHz

RAM 8GB

Windows 7 64bts

Nvidia GTS 250 1GB ( quite low, I want to buy one when I get money hehe )

MB - ASUS ( dont remember exactly )

COOLER - Artic cooling freezer 13 2200 RPM

Thank you for you help

Best regards from Spain :)

Ivan.

Hi Ivan - the problem you have on this forum is that most people have intel based systems as these are generally considered to offer the best gaming performance so there is little experience with AMD systems, you may get more advice on a specific overclocking website.

My opinion as to why your temperature increases when you overclock past 4.1Ghz is that you probably have your voltages set to Auto. Potentially your CPU is telling your motherboard to supply more voltage than is required at the higher speed, more voltage and higher speed equals higher temperatures, you will probably need to set your voltages manually but be very careful that you dont set them higher than your chip or cooler can cope with.

You can download CPU-Z which will tell you the exact model of motherboard you have and my personal advice would be to google "overclocking FX6300 on" followed by your motherboard. Alternatively you could always post back with your motherboard details and hopefully someone will assist.