Sign in to follow this  
JNS

P3D installation question

Hi. I want to run FSX and P3D on the same computer.  I have Win7 64-bit and FSX on one SSD. I was going to install P3D on a second SSD. Would it be preferable to put another install of Win 7 64-bit on the same drive as P3D and basically have a dual-boot system or can I use the same install of Win7 for both FSX and P3D without messing up FSX? I have a Raptor for scenery, etc.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

I installed P3D on a separate SSD but it's NOT required, FSX and P3D will work well together on the same hard drive and under the same Win7 install.

The installation process is a little primitive with unzip and merging files and having to run setup.exe "Run as Administrator" and also having to run Prepar3D.exe "Run as Administrator" for the first time only.

If you're running an NVidia video card, it's a good idea to install NVidia Inspector and duplicate you FSX profile for Prepar3D.exe so you can get better AA quality.

Robains, thanks for the info.  I'm thinking of trying P3D to see what all the whoopla is about.  Sounds like a pretty good thing for the sim community.

Jeff

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

Hi Jeff,

I'm supporting whatever happens to them with my $10/mo ... keeping my fingers crossed.  I don't particularly agree with "their" priorities (DX11 before 64bit - if that is accurate information), but it's not about me and I hope they move the platform forward regardless.

I have hope for XPlane 64bit also ... if you're in the "checking out mode" it's worth the effort too.

I still use FSX most of the time (DX10 Preview with DX10 fixes).

Rob