Sign in to follow this  
golfbravo

Autopilot issues - GoFlight GF-MCP Advanced

Hello everyone,A friend of mine recently installed the GoFlight GF-MCP Advanced auto pilot system onto his computer for a more realistic autopilot experience. I've had the opportunity to try it out, and it's quite fun! However, we both noted a recurring issue, and I'm wondering if anyone else might know how to fix it.When climbing or descending, the V/S selector will indicate a given rate of climb or descent (on both the system and the panel) and while initially the aircraft holds the V/S, it then loses its value during the climb/descent right after selecting a new altitude. Here's a scenario:I was climing from 2000ft to 13000ft at a rate of 3000ft/min (the aircraft type is irrelevant because this happened on various planes). As the plane approached the altitude selected, the climb rate (naturally) decreased. However, after being vectored to a higher altitude, I reset the V/S to 2200ft/min, but the autopilot kept the climb rate at around 600ft/min, and did not correct itself until I disengaged and re-engaged the autopilot. The same happened in descent, and I had to continue this action through all altitude vectors until I landed. Is this normal? Or is there a setting that my friend should have in order for the autopilot to respond to the GoFlight panel? Sorry if this seems a little confusing (it's a little difficult to explain) but any feedback would definitely be appreciated. Thanks for reading,George

Guest pumrigar

Are you using aircraft that use the standard FS2004 autopilot ? The Goflight MCP does not work properly with aircraft that have a custom programmed autopilot although in some cases it is possible to make it compatable using the keystroke mapping function.Pesi

Well, the aircraft in question (at the time) was the iFDG A320. As far as I know, I don't think that they have a custom-made autopilot. My friend has flown other aircraft in his library using the autopilot (POSKY 757, DC-10) with the same results. Also, the panels on them (at least with the POSKY/IFDG models) are default 777.George

Guest David Lee 2

George,This happens a lot and I don't think it has anything to do with the GF-MCP. The easy way around this is to dial an altitude more than a 1000ft above your current altitude as that seems to 'reset' the AP out of its altitude capture mode. Then you can dial whatever you want and you should be able to set the VS fine. Some real life APs are quirky like that too so don't feel badly. Hope that helps!David

Thank you for the insight, David. One other thing I should've mentioned is that this issue that my friend is having never occurred before he installed his GF-MCP. This is why we were wondering if the defualt settings of his GF panel were somehow interfering with the autopilot functions of the panel in use. Thanks again guys,George