Sign in to follow this  
Jive1

Tokelau for FS9

Hey!

I was searching for a scenery for FS9 of Tokelau and its atolls.

I did find one for FSX, but not for FS9, and I cannot convert that scenery for FS9.

Who can give me a hint where to find such a scenery for FS9?

Greetz

Jive1

Hey!

Good day!

I've triedFSX2FS9...

I think that this program is only for converting Afcad files from FSX-type to FS9-type? And that is not what I was looking for. I can make Afcads myself "if"... If I have a good scenery! And the thing is that I don't have a good scenery of Tokelau in FS9-type.

I've tried to convert some FSX-files to FS9, but with the program I could only convert Afcad-files....

Pity!

Greetz

Jive1

Use ModelconverterX to convert the models and textures. Photoscenery is not convertible.

(Love converting scenery. Running the free ORBX KHQM in FS9 right now - along with a bunch of european scenery and... the best rendition I've yet seen for KSLC is the FSX default scenery. I've got it ported to FS9!)

@ematheson

Picture or it didnt happen! :He He: :He He:

Just kidding, but picture would be nice anyways...

Hey!

I'm affraid that neighter ModelconverterX is able to convert complete FSX-sceneries to FS9-types.... Pitty!

Greetz

Jive1

Ok, understood. So here is a picture. Just remember - photoscenery isn't convertable, so the scenery is missing it's photoscenery base. In it's place, I've got Ultimate Terrain, which fits pretty well, but isn't quite as pretty. Also, remember that sounds don't convert - I'm missing all the nice chirping birdies. The AFCAD is custom built, since the one that comes with the demo is designed with photoscenery in mind and doesn't work very well without it! - random aprons, disconnected taxiways, and the like.

Other sceneries required less work to convert - such as the default KSLC - or even some of ORBX others. Vashon Muni turned out OK.

One final thing to observe - the conversion isn't perfect. Cars that had lights attached end up with a black bar where the lights should be. I just ignore that. That could be a game-stopper for some, though.

Did you have to resize any textures as well?

Yes, I did have to resize some textures. However, you can do all that through ModelConverterX if you need to. I use a batch file in conjunction with imagetool and nconvert.

@ematheson

Why not try to put MAP2BGL underneath? It's been ages i fiddled with that - but i can imagine importing a ground layer VTP via ADE9 could be possible? Or - as someone showed at fsdevelooper: try google sketchup?

This is the batch file I use to convert textures for use in FS9. You will need to download nconvert.exe - but that shouldn't be too hard. It's a freeware command-line image program and it works very quickly.

IMAGETOOL -r -brief -32 -detail -nowarning -e bmp *.bmp
IMAGETOOL -r -brief -32 -detail -nowarning -e bmp *.dds
nconvert -quiet -out tga -resize 512 512 -yflip  *.bmp
del *.dds
del *.bmp
imagetool -batch -nogui -DXT3 *.tga
del *.TGA
ren *.MIP *.BMP
exit

Haven't tried Maps2bgl, though that might work...

another comment:

in most cases, you only need to worry about converting objects and afcads. FS9 doesn't understand mesh LODs higher than 11, so you might as well just use your current 19m mesh rather than chase after trying to convert FSX mesh. There is no extant way to convert FSX photoscenery to FS9. FS9 understands FSX object placement data with no conversion necessary. For the KHQM scenery you see above, I only converted textures, object libraries, and afcads. The other files I either deleted as extraneous or left as is.