Sign in to follow this  
Guest cliff

Is there a more detailed map than FS Navigator?

Guest cliff

As I live between Valencia and Alicante in Spain I enjoy flying along the coast between these two airports.However both the FSNavigator map and the default FS9 map don't (understandingly) show towns along the route.Does anyone perhaps know of an add-on map that would give this degree of detailed information?

Guest nigelb

If you can find a suitable map on the internet, which should not be too difficult, you could save the map image and edit it with a suitable program so it includes the area you need. If nothing else is available MSPaint could be used to edit the map, if it needs editing. Then import the image into Word or similar program and save it as an .htm file. Call it "Spain_ref.htm", for example.Now you can edit the aircraft.cfg file and reference your map:kb_reference=Spain_ref (You don't need to add the .htm extension in aircraft.cfg.)This is a little awkward I know, but it should work.The idea here is to add the file to the kneeboard so it is available to you during flight by pressing F10 or the check/tick icon if available. Since your interested in a coastal area, it should be easy to compare the coast outline on your new map with the FS Navigator map to see what towns your flying over.You could also add the image to and existing kb_refernce or kb_checklists file. If one exists in .htm format and you want to keep the original kneeboard info for that aircraft - just add your map at the top or bottom of the file (again use Word or similar program and save in .htm format) and scroll to access all the information.

>If you can find a suitable map on the internet, which should>not be too difficult, you could save the map image and edit it>with a suitable program so it includes the area you need. If>nothing else is available MSPaint could be used to edit the>map, if it needs editing. Then import the image into Word or>similar program and save it as an .htm file. Call it>"Spain_ref.htm", for example.>>Now you can edit the aircraft.cfg file and reference your>map:>kb_reference=Spain_ref >>(You don't need to add the .htm extension in aircraft.cfg.)>>This is a little awkward I know, but it should work.>>The idea here is to add the file to the kneeboard so it is>available to you during flight by pressing F10 or the>check/tick icon if available. >>Since your interested in a coastal area, it should be easy to>compare the coast outline on your new map with the FS>Navigator map to see what towns your flying over.>>You could also add the image to and existing kb_refernce or>kb_checklists file. If one exists in .htm format and you want>to keep the original kneeboard info for that aircraft - just>add your map at the top or bottom of the file (again use Word>or similar program and save in .htm format) and scroll to>access all the information.Excellent tip, nigelb! Still can you please provide a link to a free map resource suitable for such a task, with the necessary magnification, possibility to extract into a certain file format etc.? Any links, guys?

Guest nigelb

Well, just for kicks I did a google search and found pages and pages of maps, some a lot better than others. The attached map came from http://encarta.msn.com. Just search for "Valencia region Spain maps", or similar. You may need a passport account to get it though, I was already logged into mine so I am not sure. Once you have the map webpage, you can zoom in and out, adjust the center of the map and then just save the image as I did. The attached is a .gif because of the size limitation on attachments, but I converted the original image from .bmp to .jpg with Ifanview.Now all you need do is import the map image into Word and save it as filetype .htm (not .doc) and your all set. This works for relativly small regions like the area between Valencia and Alicante. I don't think I would try to get all of Russia into a kneeboard map :)

Guest cliff

Nigel I'm grateful for the time you devoted to advsing me how to overcome my problem.However I'm not sufficiently computer literate to take advantage of your suggestion.Thank you however. I appreciate your trying.