Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Anyone have this Tupolev 154B? I have a problem with it ...

Not the Project Tupolev 154B (which I have,and for which I did some beta testing many years ago), but one which has an air file called 154b-2v7.air. It's from tu154b2v.zip. (I don't always have the patience to start up the PT model and this is a quicker option!).

The problem is I can hardly turn it on the ground. Even at a snail's pace, the aircraft has a huge turn circle and getting to a gate without slewing is a near impossibility. The aircraft.cfg [Contact Points] section looks fine and I have experimented with different turning angles for the nosewheel, but it hardly helps.

Anyone know if there is a way to fix this (is there an FDE update)?

Not expecting a flood of replies, but maybe someone who has this a/c could see if they have the same problem? (With some Russian planes yuo have to 'unlock' the nosewheel to go from a 10 to 22 deg turn on the ground, but I don't think that is modelled in this aircraft. Nothing in the cockpit to make such a switch at any rate).

Thanks.

Curiouser and curiouser ... I closed down the sim and retried the a/c later, and now it turns OK if you aren't over 10kts. This is how I thought it was when I was taxiing for take-off earlier. But when I landed the a/c didn't want to turn properly. Could something change in flight?

This is all too strange to have a quick, logical answer, I am sure. I'll do a few more flights and see how it goes (and post back).

Martin

The nose gear steering limit mechanism is modelled, at least on the fs9 Tu-154B2 and M and probably modelled on the fsx version as well. You can find the relevant switches on the left side of the overhead panel.

Modelled, as in un-tweakable I guess you mean.

Maybe we use different panels. My overhead panel looks like this.. there are no switches for angle. Maybe, if the feature is modelled, I need to add them. Are you referring to the Project Tupolev panel perhaps?

Edited by firehawk44
Image was 938KB in weight and the limit for images uploaded to AVSIM is 400KB. Image removed.

Martin, is that the IGFLY version?

IIRC, a switch for the nose gear steering angle should be next to the flaps handle, fwd ovhd area..

Is there anything on your panel?

No, I didn't know iFly had done the Tu154B. It's a freeware a/c from the 'other' (Russian) 'AVSIM' site. I fly it when I don't have the time (or patience!) to go through the PT Tu154 long startup process.

(I spent a long time creating a visual guide to the PT plane start-up procedure, which is on the PT site, and in the AVSIM file library I think, but I don't fly it all that much these days. The problem that I had all too often was that after spending so long getting the a/c to the stage where it would taxi, I then couldn't steer it - I had set the correct switches (as I say, I did some beta testing for the PT Tupolev and got to know it quite well, often posting on the PT forums), this problem was a 'glitch' I think - the plane would go round and round in circles. So I'd reset the hardware (joystick) and try again, not always with success. It's a great plane but can be very frustrating when you want to be up and flying within a reasonable period).

The current a/c is just a shadow of the PT model and the turning switches aren't modelled as far as I know - certainly there are no switches for it anywhere in the panel, though maybe I am not using the original panel (I must check that!). It flies really well though, all the AP functions working as in the PT plane. The large turn angle is the only problem I have with it.

... I must have a go in the Project Tupolev Tu154: I haven't tried it out for three years I think!