Sign in to follow this  

Totally not sim related

Guest Dan CYKA

I figured I'd ask this here since this is like the pilot pub and most of you seem to have some kind of "pub lawyer" input on these kinds of things. I mean where else do pilots go to talk about fishing, boating, golf, fashion, and what ever else.So, I aquired a CD of a band that is an original demo CD from the recording studio. The band is now very succesful, and I figured what the heck, and I put the CD up for sale. The lawyer for the band is trying to get me to stop selling it. I don't think from the way he is going about it that he really has a leg to stand on. I have not aquired the CD illegally. I have not made copies of the CD. It is an original "one off" CD from the studio. Ya think I'm doing a naughty thing or should I carry on? Am I breaking any copyright laws? Remember I'm in Canada when you quote any legal stuff.Thanks

What has the lawyer promised/threatened or otherwise claimed to keep you from selling this CD?

If the CD has always been legally transferred and aqcuired he can do little I THINK.But if it is what you describe it was probably NOT obtained legally either by the person recording it or by the first person owning it thereafter.Most bands don't give the studio staff permission to tape their recording sessions except for the express purpose of handing the tapes over to the band.The person in the studio who made a copy for himself (which he later sold or gave away and is now in your posession) almost certainly had no right to do so.That makes the tape legally stolen property and your selling it is thus a crime (as selling stolen property IS a crime whether you know it was stolen or not). The lawyer could have gone to the police and reported your action instead (which might have led to your arrest at least to question you as to the origins of the tape) and the confiscation of the tape as evidence in a criminal investigation.Things might be different in Canada but that's the worst that could happen.