Sign in to follow this  
Guest Shane Strong CYHZ

a forum setup question

Guest Shane Strong CYHZ

hiya all just a follow up question i am in the middle of getting a commercial website set up and it supports cgi i dont think it supports php is there a forum system that is free that would work in cgithanksshane

I would ask your web site provider / hosting company what they have available.Mike

Guest Shane Strong CYHZ

mike that was my first step but they have no info they just provide the webspace so i desided to ask the experts here what works with cgi for forum software as i have to install and run itshane

The forums in use here come in two versions; cgi and php. If you go to dcscripts.com, you will find the two. We use the PHP version because of our loads. If you are expecting low usage, then the CGI version will work fine. They are not free however.

Guest Shane Strong CYHZ

thanks tom :)

I find it very weird that they wouldn't know whether they support cgi, php or equivalents.Usually support for it is a big selling argument and sites that support it certainly do know.That leaves me to think they either don't support it (but don't want to tell you openly out of fear of loosing a customer), are too lazy to look up your account details to see if your account supports it (if they have multiple levels some of which do and some of which don't support it), or the person you spoke to is incompetent.If your provider has a website the content of the packages they offer (and what's supported) should be listed there.p.s. if your site you want to use it on is your homepage at your ISP you can almost certainly forget it.Most if not all ISPs I know don't offer any CGI or alternative or at most offer a few ready-made scripts (like an email response form) that you can plug into your site.This is mainly for security reasons (they don't want people installing buggy scripts on their servers which could give a cracker entry onto their systems) but also to get you to pay for a full hosting package (which earthlink doesn't seem to offer on their site, but might do under another name).

Guest Shane Strong CYHZ

well i was on my isp they dont support anything for the residential customers so i have opened a busniess account with them and on that server they say they only support cgi so that was the bases of my question of what forum software could be used with cgi and i think i have found a few answersthanksshane