Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anthony_d

San Marino Aeroclub - WIP - some issues

Evening all,

I've been working on an airport as part of my "fly to every country" campaign.  I'm due to visit the country of San Marino, and presently there are no facilities in X-Plane.  But there is an aeroclub in real life:
http://www.aeroclubsanmarino.sm/

So this is what I've made so far, all using WED legobricks, and I'm intending to submit this to robin peel - so all of you will have it on some future update.

Couple of issues:  There's no ICAO code.  This best thing I can find from the aeroclub site is the designator: "RSMTOR".  That's not allowed in x-plane, so I truncated it to SMTO.  No idea if it's valid, but if anyone has an authoritative answer on the matter, then I'll change it to that.

----------

As you can see, the runway slopes badly, and deselecting the "runway follows contours" option results in some pretty nasty sink holes under the runway.  So my three options are:

1.  Live with it
2.  Hope Andras Fabian's HD mesh fixes it
3.  Fix it myself - learn to mesh.

Option 3 is the best solution, but frankly I'm not seeing any workflows that lend themselves to small scale airport tweaks (only large areas).  Ideal workflow would be:

1.  Import section of default mesh you want to work with.  Visualise on mesh editor of choice.

2.  Visually add new vertices (position & height), ones needed to jackup the southeast section of runway - auto generate triangles to nearest vertices.

3.  Export to dsf (ideally the one that comes with the airport).

4.  Inspect results in x-plane, rinse and repeat until satisfied with results.

Anyone got any decent workflows for this (must have pictures - the meshtool document is too hard)?

-----------

I've tried adding rough grass and ploughed field polygons using the files in

lib/g10/terrain10/

lib/g8/pol/

They come out looking very blurry, particularly the G10 polygons.  Does anyone know where how I can get stock grass polygons to come out looking good.  They appear good for the rest of the world, but not my polygons. 

I'm looking for polygon files that would be valid submissions to Robin Peel.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!