Sign in to follow this  
Robert McDonald

Would PMDG work with Topcat to assist 777 Performance Profile?

We have been in contact with Christian for a long time - you guys are just making stuff up if you're claiming he has no channel to us for questions. I was a PFPX tester and his company has copies of the 777 to use.

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for your direct comment. It is much as I feared. They are simply putting some kind of spin on things. I'm frustrated because the 777 _IS_ supported by PFPX, but is _NOT_ supported by their older product Topcat. The 'excuse' is that PFPX uses simple text files for relevant aircraft information, while Topcat requires complex C++ DLL files specific to each aftermarket plane.

I suspected it was a situation much as it now appears- a lot of extra work that they simply don't wish to complete in any kind of rush fashion, blaming the development of the NEW (and much more expensive) PFPX product as taking away time from Topcat.

Other readers here in the forum can take this information for whatever it is worth to the individual reader. I didn't spend any time researching the "bundle" offer from Christian/FSS. I simply bought it on faith, seeing the 777 listed as supported in their brand-new product.

Thanks again, Ryan, for clarifying the issue.

You know I had considered getting that same bundle, until I found out the 777 wasn't supported. I'm a bit confused I thought the ngx was supported. Based on their list of featured aircraft it appears to be as it says 737-800 pmdg?

Well, I don't know about the NGX. I have the NGX and the 777. Since I'm focused on the 777, I didn't test or even search further about the NGX. You might get more information by contacting FSS at the PFPX/Topcat website, and ask them point-blank. In reading their aircraft types page on their site, it does list the PMDG 737, I am only guessing that it may mean the NGX is supported. It simply says the 737, no "NGX", so I'm not positive.

Here's the link to their supported aircraft list. http://www.flightsimsoft.com/topcat/?p=types

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

It is a shame topcat doesn't support the 777 yet, but hang in there, you'll be glad you got it when it does. In the meantime, you can use the 737 profiles with the NGX, it seems to work quite well.

but on the other hand - Topcat has taken what I can describe as less-than-consumer-friendly approach to redressing the shortfall.

This is a concern I have voiced many times on FSS side - they should improve their PR. It has been catastrophical for years now. In result, I recieved a ban (not really surprising...)

I have read that comment over on their forum.  I also see their main developer (programmer) suggesting people in the sim community take it upon themselves to write the C++ DLL code needed for that airplane, and then he went one step further, saying they (the person who did that task) could even CHARGE MONEY FOR IT.

I have approached Christian numerous times in the past with this proposition (even back before NGX was a thing). Nothing materialised. Maybe I should take a look again.

edit: I could not find any reference. please point me to a proper place.

If I'm not wrong, the NGX remains unsupported to this date- that's a plane that has been around for quite a while.

NGX is supported... kinda. The performance figures are valid for the 800, and with some feddling even for 700 (the difference being NGX uses 24K engines with 22K and 20K derates, while Topcat has 22K engines with 20K and 18K derates).

The loading does not work owing to the unique PMDG way of loading the airplane (via CDU) - this might be possible to circumvent through using the SDK. Possibly, not sure, don't have SDK at hand.

Well, I don't know about the NGX. I have the NGX and the 777. Since I'm focused on the 777, I didn't test or even search further about the NGX. You might get more information by contacting FSS at the PFPX/Topcat website, and ask them point-blank. In reading their aircraft types page on their site, it does list the PMDG 737, I am only guessing that it may mean the NGX is supported. It simply says the 737, no "NGX", so I'm not positive.

There was a PMDG 737 before NGX - that one is supported.

Guys, you should head here and check this out! :-)

http://aurasim.com/

I can recommend this.

Edited by Fabo

This is a concern I have voiced many times on FSS side - they should improve their PR. It has been catastrophical for years now. In result, I recieved a ban (not really surprising...)

I have approached Christian numerous times in the past with this proposition (even back before NGX was a thing). Nothing materialised. Maybe I should take a look again.

edit: I could not find any reference. please point me to a proper place.

NGX is supported... kinda. The performance figures are valid for the 800, and with some feddling even for 700 (the difference being NGX uses 24K engines with 22K and 20K derates, while Topcat has 22K engines with 20K and 18K derates).

The loading does not work owing to the unique PMDG way of loading the airplane (via CDU) - this might be possible to circumvent through using the SDK. Possibly, not sure, don't have SDK at hand.

There was a PMDG 737 before NGX - that one is supported.

I can recommend this.

Thank you Fabo. Good and informative post. I am curious about that instrument you recommended. Looks like Topcat may have been a mistake for my uses... Possibly they will put the new PMDG 777 in as one of the posters has said in this thread. Time will tell. Cheers and regards.

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Update: Word on the FSS website (makers of PFPX and Topcat) is they are hard at work adding matching profiles to Topcat that match the aircraft supported by PFPX.

With that said, I have made a good-faith offer to FSS to assist them in any way I can to add the NGX and the 777 to Topcat, so that the people like me who purchased the PFPX and Topcat Bundle will have proper fuel load predictions from Topcat along with their Route Planning and NOTAMS/Winds Aloft/Weather from PFPX.

While I am a VB programmer and don't know C++, I can't imagine it's too difficult (just using slightly different syntax) a task. The big thing is getting the proper data points.

As "Tabs" (Ryan Maziraz of PMDG) has stated within this thread, PMDG has worked closely with FSS on the PFPX product development cycle to make sure their new airplane would be supported. My goal now is to get Topcat to match that same support of the new 777. I have put my mouth where my money is (because I already bought Topcat along with PFPX) and offered to do whatever I possibly can to help FSS get the 777 data points added to Topcat.

At any rate, word is from FSS this issue is on their To-Do list and they expect things to get better in the not-distant future. I have heard recent word on their forum from their guy Pierre that they expect good news in the next 30 days on this issue, but nothing specific about the 777 itself. They ARE trying to add support within Topcat to match the list of aircraft profiles that ships with PFPX.

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

With that said, I have made a good-faith offer to FSS to assist them in any way I can to add the NGX and the 777 to Topcat, so that the people like me who purchased the PFPX and Topcat Bundle will have proper fuel load predictions from Topcat along with their Route Planning and NOTAMS/Winds Aloft/Weather from PFPX.

PFPX already does a proper fuel calculation. All you need to do is plug in those numbers into the PMDG FMCs.

TOPCAT (Take-off Performance and Calculation Tool) as its name says was originally thought to be used to calculate optimum flaps and V Speeds. Not to plan fuel and pax loads.

But yes I hope that FSS will make the necessary update to TOPCAT available soon.

C. Bennett

PFPX already does a proper fuel calculation. All you need to do is plug in those numbers into the PMDG FMCs.

TOPCAT (Take-off Performance and Calculation Tool) as its name says was originally thought to be used to calculate optimum flaps and V Speeds. Not to plan fuel and pax loads.

But yes I hope that FSS will make the necessary update to TOPCAT available soon.

Many Thanks for that information, Dreagan. I actually discovered your point last evening and did use the PFPX fuel numbers inside the PMDG 777. Worked just fine, much closer to RW and was able to land at my destination with my planned reserve or very near it. Since I had de-rated the engines, I think that may have played a small role in having a little 'spare' fuel at landing. FuelPlanner.com was my prior site I used for fuel loading, better than nothing, but the 777 model they use there seemed like I always had way too much fuel at the end of my trip.

Cheers!

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg