Sign in to follow this  
Sonar5

Commercial MSFS 2004 License?

Guest Don Kane

Does anyone know if Microsoft requires a commercial license for using MSFS in a group classroom setting?Any ideas what the cost would be of a commercial license?

It would be like any of their other products--you pay for each workstation where MSFS is installed. You may wish to see if you can contact MS directly to negotiate a break on the price or even on the outside chance they would donate the software considering its purpose.-John

Hi John,I think he said it was for commercial purposes though, not a school setting. Although, I believe MS offers discounts to Educational interests that are not out to profit.If it is a FBO, or Instructors using it, I think you are right, one copy paid for per workstation.I have seen the program offered for about $29.95, so depending on how many licenses he needs, he may be able to receive a discount from somebody. maybe not MS, but vendors where they sell it.I would call around to vendors to see who has excess copies for sale, and negotiate a discount to lower their inventory. Again, it depends on how many licenses he needs.Regards,Joe

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Guest Don Kane

Correct... the goal would be for use by a flight school.Microsoft's general terms say it is only for non-commercial use. Is a flight school a commercial use? Can a flight school simply purchase one copy of the software through usual retail channels for each workstation and leave it at that or is some other more formal license agreement needed?

I've seen flight schools do just that, Don.I think you can do that, but I'm not sure. I mean it does have the instructor's station, so I know some are using that option.I would do this if I were you.Call around to some of the FBO's and informally survey them to see how they are using it in their settings, IE: hardware, yokes, pedals, instructor station, etc...Then as your instructors are flying around their students on Cross countries, have them query the FBO's they are flying to to see how they are using it.I'm no attorney, so the legalities are something I just cannot address, but there are many places using it for practice procedure purposes, and that is what I use mine for as well.Actually I've never read the actual license. :-) Kudos to you for even reading it.Hope this helps,Joe

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube.