Sign in to follow this  
kevinoffsite

Video Card Upgrade Warning

For anyone upgrading their card from Nvidia to whatever I found out the hard way what not to do. Make sure you remove any remnants of Nvidia drivers and or tools prior to installing your new card, Nvidia stores all kinds of various little tid bits all over the place, files, registry ETC. So I installed my new Radeon card and continued to get that annoying "This video card does not meet requirements, blah blah blah." Typically you remove the cached shader folder in App Data, however for some reason I was not able to rid myself of that error until I completely removed all Nvidia softwares and some are hidden. Also remove those files before physically taking out the Nvidia card itself or they wont uninstall at all. Luckily my PC is a dedicated Flight Sim so I felt better doing a clean OS install rather than chancing any missed files. Good luck with upgrades. 

And (so I am told) you should also delete the shaders cache before you run P3D for the first time with the new GPU. That cache is created specifically for the GPU during install (or during the first run) and I've read a few reports from people who got similar or even worse performance with their new GPU. Deleting the cache (and letting P3D built a new one) solved the performance problems.

Luckily my PC is a dedicated Flight Sim so I felt better doing a clean OS install rather than chancing any missed files.

My PC is almost flightsim dedicated but even though I just reinstalled the OS (and everything else) for P3D two weeks ago, I am also considering doing a complete reinstall whenever I get a new GPU. (I will first install the GPU and check if it works with my current OS and if so, then I will reinstall the OS. Installing the OS without having tested the new GPU isn't very wise, I think.)

Sticking an EVGA GTX 770 in mine on Monday upgrading from GTX580 which is on its last legs. Not into Prepar3d yet but thanks for the tips on the shaders folder, I suppose same applies for FSX.

As for installing the card, I would have thought it would be common sense to uninstall all GFX drivers then remove the card after  that a reboot, before sticking a new card in and re installing a new card and drivers  There is no way in hell I`m re installing an OS and FSX plus all the add ons just for a card upgrade.

Its ALWAYS best to remove any graphics drivers before an upgrade with re boots in between and will save a lot of headaches even if you are running the same driver.

Cheers Doogie

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "The Prepar3d General Forum" to "P3D Tips and Tricks". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.