Sign in to follow this  
Gary McCombie

Navigation Data Source

Just wondered what source of navigation Data for the FMS flyers of the 777 are using? I was not too chuffed when programming the FMC with a Flight Plan taken from FSX to get the dreaded "not in database" message to variour waypoints and airways from the FSX generated route. I sometimes source routes from Vataware but often find the same issues with "not in database".

What is the best way to get current airways and routes suitable for the T777?

Many thanks!

from the FSX generated route

That's the problem.  Remember that FSX came out in 2006.  Nav data in the real world is updated every 28 days (depending on what data you're referring to).  Since the release of flight sim, we've had about 91 nav data cycles of updates.  Knowing that, it's not too surprising the FSX planner is going to leave you high and dry when trying to fly with a database that was current in August (the 777 was released with AUG13 data if I recall correctly).

First, the FSX planner is terrible, and I'd suggest avoiding it.

If you're flying in the United States, FlightAware is perfect because you can just poach the route that a real flight used for that flight route.  Hand enter that into the FMC (or use a tool to convert it to PMDG format) and avoid the FSX planner entirely (have the aforementioned tool drop out a FSX format plan if you want to use FSX ATC, which I'd also avoid).

As far as keeping your database current, there are two major providers (and probably others).  I use Navigraph.  This does cost money, however, as the provider has to buy current data and convert it for your use.  This is not a requirement to use the 777, but if you want to use current data, it's a cost that's out of PMDG's or anyone else's control.

Kyle Rodgers

Fantastic reply, thanks for taking the time.

You're welcome!  Post back if you have any more issues with discrepancies between the two, or need clarification on how to poach routes and use the route gen tools.

Kyle Rodgers