Sign in to follow this  
NikkiA

So tired of FSX's default scenery being so fragile

I don't know what it is, but I've consistantly had a problem with FSX's default scenery corrupting itself over time, a couple of years back it was TZs being corrupted and ending up with airports that were persistantly in the wrong timezone.

Last night as I was just about to touchdown at SFO, I had the crash detection kick in and say I hit the airport boundary fence (I was at about 70'), and I saw the plane model instantly get moved from where it was, to ground level. Sure enough experimenting with various aircraft and altitudes, I needed about 150' at the end of 28L to clear the fence. Re-installing the Scenery folder from a 'just after install' backup fixed everything.

But I really wish I knew what causes it, I don't often fly into SFO so I can't say for sure when the latest corruption occurred, but since this FSX install is only 2 months old, it can't have happened that long ago. Normally I'd suspect external things that fiddle with the default scenery - I've always suspected that the default nav data update out there was responsible, because it was the last thing I installed the two times I had the TZ corruption, but this time the only thing that's touched the scenery folder was AS2012 and a manual install of some ground textures.

It's just really frustrating that these things happen - and invariably take so long to diagnose properly. I don't have enough experience with P3D to know if it will suffer the same problem, hopefully not.

[Rant over :mad: ]