Sign in to follow this  
flyblueskies

Contacting FSS to open flight plan issue

I've downloaded the VOXATC demo to give it a try. I'm consistently having problems contacting FSS to open my flight plan. It seems related to CLASS B airports as when I use Unicom at small airports, I did not have a problem. I am flying VFR and I have created the appropriate flight plan. All of my flights have been in the US.

Anyway, I have searched for forums and while I may have missed it, I could not find any way to solve this problem. I have run through all of the suggested speech recognition training. All other voice transmissions are recognized...my only problem is with FSS.

If I return to ground and say that I'm back on frequency, without being able to contact FSS,  I'm out of sync now. So, when the prompts are displayed, they are already BLUE and I can't get it back in sync.

I'm running FSX with Acceleration. I had the problem with the VFR suggested DEMO and have had the same problem with two other flights out of CLASS B airports.

Has anyone else run into this?

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

Not sure if you've tried the following, but I believe the flight has to be saved for things to work correctly.

Once you have set up your flight plan and are sitting in the aircraft ready to go, save the *flight*, then start and enable VoxATC.  To be on the safe side you might want to reload the flight as well.

All I can think of.

Thanks Hippo,

I appreciate your help. Unfortunately, that's not it. I have a flight plan open and VoxATC steps me through the process of Radio Check, then listen to ATIS, then Request Startup, etc. This does not happen unless I have a flight plan open.

Anyway, when I contact FSS as prompted, repeat the information shown in the prompt, it goes BLUE. From that point, it goes into 'lala land'. There is no response from FSS to repeat anything and I have no way to recover.

In addition, there are airports where there really is no FSS frequency. So, even though I'm prompted to use a particular frequency, because it does not exist, I again get no response.

I'm just wondering about a new feature, where we can 'use our cell phone' to call in the OPEN file plan request. I believe this is also real life. If this feature could be added in, perhaps an option is available when pressing '0' to phone in the open file plan request. Then, VoxATC would know this occurred and I can be on my way to the next stage in the process.

I fly VFR a lot, so this would be useful for us VFR flyers.

Does this make sense?

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5